• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Re: Check my avocado varieties

Postby CTMIAMI » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10b
Good luck with your experiment. Make sure you have a pollinating factor bacause you have no wind inside a greenhouse. May be a few bees? Pick self polinating varieties, not sure.
I don't know of anyone that has done this in a green house. There was a guy in Minnesota or some place north trying to do that but he woud bring them inside in the winter. Good luck

Postby MarkN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Pollination was a prime concern. During the spring months, during pollen shed, I open huge rack/pinion vents and have migration of bees in and out. FWIW, I planted a small Oro Negro bought from Pine Island last October and come Feb. it must have had a 1,000 blossoms. Since nothing else was blooming then, nothing took. I do have a nice mix of A and B types.

Thanks for going off topic with me to share some cultural thoughts.

Postby CTMIAMI » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:37 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Interesting Mark, Just for reference, you may be running your green house very tropical since Oro Negro still blooming here is South Florida.

Postby MarkN » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:57 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

CTMIAMI wrote:Interesting Mark, Just for reference, you may be running your green house very tropical since Oro Negro still blooming here is South Florida.

Perhaps, I have had temps near 100F. That logistical issue is soon to be corrected with Kool Ray paint and swamp coolers like I said. Heater kicks in at 34F. Lows over the last couple of weeks have been in the upper 50's and 60's.

Read your evaluations closely and went to the E. African link. You described Oro Negro as excellent quality. What does that mean? High in oil, rich, nutty, creamy? Same quality as a correctly tree ripened Hass? Regarding Hass, we're getting them from Mexico and Chile, and the quality is not that good.

Oro Negro sure isn't self fruitful!

Postby CTMIAMI » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Mark, unfortunately our taste of good Hass is rare. We don't get fruit from California es all Mexican and Chilean, both poor quality , picked too early, improper storage. I don't buy them any more.

What do I mean about "excellent quality"? Definetly creamy, rich, not sure about oil content. Just a tasty avocado by my standards and every one I have asked that have tasted it agrees. If I had a choice between a perfect Hass and an Oro Negro I'll probably go for the Hass if it was free. If I had to pay 2.99 for the Hass I will probably take the Oro Negro.

Postby AvocadoFanatic » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 am

AvocadoFanatic

Climate Zone: 17
Your avocado collection is fantastic (Que Perfecion!), with your Mexicola Grande, how old is your tree? I am not sure where to obtain uncommon cultivars in California, do you have trouble with "root rot" in Florida as we do in California? I love your website and how well it is organized!

Postby CTMIAMI » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks on the complements. What I have on the ground is a Mexicola, not a Mexicola grande. The tree was a 7 year old Dupuis that I cut back and in this past December I top worked the Mexicola. Using that process in 24 months I would have a 7 year old Mexicola producing as much a 6-7 yr old tree.
In Florida we do not have root rot issues so we can use any root stock normally they use Waldin and Lula. I also use Catalina because is a strong seedling and I have them.

PS I traded a MExicola Grande for a Monroe last week so I will be using that tree to top work another tree next to the mexicola but it will be at the end of the year.
:geek:

Postby MarkN » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:24 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

Great points. Funny, but I assumed you got Hass as that is all we get here in Texas and many times the quality is only fair. They just don't seem to let them hang long enough. No offense, but the Florida greens we get in the fall are terrible, prone to anthracnose, full of black spots on the skin many times going into the flesh, watery, insipid. They make great seedlings though!

Postby CTMIAMI » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:21 am

CTMIAMI
Cloudforest Expert

On the seedlings issue, I agree.
I have a variety, "Berta Rodriguez" that may be good for Texas since I understand from the curator at Fairchild Tropical Gardens it was found in an Island in Costa Rica growing among mangroves. So one has to assume is very salt tolerant. I understand that some places in Texas have high sodium water. To blame for the poor quality of the summer fruit are the packing houses, that ship crap and the grocery store chains buyers that dont know how to buy Florida Avocado. Every thing gets group under "Florida Green" they don't buy by variety and quality.
We do have good fruit during the season. To give you an axample I grow an early variety call Dupuis, it is excelent, does not produce much. It provides good quality fruit June to early August. If buyers would ask for it by name I would probably get paid more and would not be top working those trees now. Instead they ship Donnies whice is OK but Dupuis are much much better. In the summer it gets worstbecause of volume but there is good fruit in the summer is just that the system is not geared towards quality

Postby MarkN » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:46 am

MarkN
Cloudforest Expert

Florida avocados have an image problem, it's too bad too. Like I said, when I think of a Florida avocado I think light, watery and the marketing pitch is reinforcing "Slimcado". It fits right into the trendy, idealogical "organic", "natural", "no chemicals" hype.

Previous

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login