• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Dooryard cold hardy Avocado

Postby kingoceanos » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18 am

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Well it's that time of year again, I am looking for avocado scions that are cold hardy and have fruit with the same or better features as the California Hass. The cold hardy commercially available ones at my local nurseries just don't have that nice buttery hass texture and taste. I am only growing them for my wife and I so we don't need massive production just good quality fruit. I have heard there are plenty of good types out there that were dropped because of poor production or because of thin skin that wouldn't ship well.
I currently have Stewart, Bacon, Brogdon, Gwen, Bonny Doon, Several unknown Mexicans, and some Bonny Doon seedlings.

Thanks

Re: Dooryard cold hardy Avocado

Postby othater » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:12 pm

othater

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
Where are you located? The CRFG locals are starting to have their scionwood exchanges. Tomorrow 1/20/17 is the OC exchange 9-11A.

Postby kingoceanos » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 am

kingoceanos

I am in Conroe Texas, just north of Houston Zone 8b I wish I could attend and ask the experts questions about how cold hardy their types are and of course if any tasted as good as the California Hass.

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:13 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
What does the Bonny Doon taste like, how does it compare to Hass?

Postby kingoceanos » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:40 am

kingoceanos

I have only gotten a few so far, so the first fruits are not always a fair representation, but that being said. I liked them almost as much as a California Hass and they were definitely better than the Mexican Hass they did attain a nice (buttery) texture and have a high oil ratio like a hass. They are smaller overall and the seed to flesh ratio is not as good as the Hass, so it takes more to get the amount you need for a good size batch of guacamole. I didn't have any California Hass to do a side by side comparison so I had to go by memory, the hass does store better also. My tree is still young and about twelve feet tall now and I am hoping the yield and taste will improve with age, also my climate is not ideal for growing avocados so that might affect the taste too.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:53 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login