• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Free Jackfruit seedlings - pickup only

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
I have MANY jackfruit seedlings, so many that I am overwhelmed by them all. There are something like 60 of them growing in my greenhouse ranging in size from 2-6" in height. Most of them are thriving in my greenhouse I just know it is better to distribute the risk and give them out, a better chance of someone up here getting a fruit some day.
PM me if you are interested and can pick them up in the South Bay / Peninsula.

I also have a few rooted cuttings of 'Gold' and 'Kyoho' grapes I received from UC Davis. These were the winners at the UC Davis grape tasting last year. They are both amazing fruit.

Re: Free Jackfruit seedlings - pickup only

Postby Ashok » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:46 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
Jason,

A few months ago Brian L. gave me a handful of sprouting jackfruit seeds that he got from you. I have them in pots, and they are growing well. (For the moment ... I don't have a greenhouse, so they will have to take their chances in a sheltered outdoor spot during the winter.)

Now, the probability of me being able to grow them into larger plants and fruit them outdoors is not high. (Some might say that the whole idea is fanciful at best, and I'm not sure that I would offer counter-arguments!)

Having said all of the above, I'm curious about their genetics. What kind of jackfruit were they extracted from? Yellow or orange-fleshed? Crisp or mushy fruit? Or have you been buying/eating different sorts of jackfruit, such that the "parentage" of any individual seed/seedling is impossible to determine at this point?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts that you may have!

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 am

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
I've only seen the yellow jackfruit for sale. There is never any signs about cultivars when buying them from the grocery store.

Postby Ashok » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:58 am

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
Thanks.

I hope that you will be able to distribute seedlings all over the Bay Area, and follow up on their progress. Who knows, maybe someone in a favorable microclimate will succeed growing one outdoors.

(In mid-summer, just about anything seems possible ... my sense of reality will most likely return with the first cool October breeze...)

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:54 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a Sunset 17
a couple of months ago i purchased a delicious small jackfruit from an asian market in stockton.. i don't remember the exact weight but the size was much smaller than a seedless watermelon... It had orange flesh and a delicious flavor.. to me it tasted like a mix between bubble gum and cantalope. I haven't had a whole lot of jack fruit.. but this one was definitely the best i've tasted. Is this a common flavor for jackfruit?

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:44 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login