• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

5 gallon Avocado trees

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat May 24, 2014 7:56 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
If someone lives near me or plans on driving into the Modesto/Turlock area, I have a few grafted Reeds, Lamb Hass, and a Sharwil and Sir Prize or two, for warmer areas, plus other Mexican types I have collected wood for and grafted to cold hardy Mexican seedlings, for colder areas. Selling them for $15 each. Some of the Mexican type varieties are green or black skin 1 pounders, and have some small Criollio types, undeveloped Mexican types with stronger great flavor; these are mostly black skinned.

I live a few miles east of Modesto CA

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Re: 5 gallon Avocado trees

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:57 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
David, I sure wish I was in your area...I'd take a Lamb Hass and Sir Prize off your hands, maybe one of the cold hardier ones also. If you hear of anyone driving down to LA, ask them if they have room for a few trees in their car/van/truck.

Cold hardy-wise, how do the Lamb Hass and Sir Prize compare to a Fuerte. This winter I had three nights down to 24-25F and my Fuerte tree (in a container still) didn't seem to be affected other than a little leaf burn.

John

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:19 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
I find the killing problem is more about duration of cold/lows, not how cold it maybe be briefly.

Here I have found Lamb Hass is definitely more cold hardy then regular Hass, not sure about how so, compared to Sir Prize. I have found that the Sir Prize in a pot and covered will take greater low temps, then mine in the ground, without damage. Chatting with Jeff Earl and knowing how some CRFG members with just as cold of climate almost, as mine here; there plants survive with no damage when my don't. Thinking I need more acid soil or need more minerals, to make mine a bit more cold hardy.

I have noticed that plants with young or weaker damaged root systems, can be harmed or killed, when others who are healthier are not, with all other things being relatively equal.

A local CRFG member in Modesto planted a number of avocado varieties, not protected, Reed died (a given here without protection), same for regular Hass, but Lamb Hass and Pinkerton survived with damage, and continued to grow.

I grafted some Lamb Hass to a hardy seedling Hass tree in north Modesto, in a mans front yard. It survived last winter, when I had a low of 22F, but doubt that it got anywhere close to that low there; it is across from Jeff Earl's home, in the front yard of nice Thai family. Maybe the Lamb Hass was lucky this winter, but hoping not.

David

jbclem 9b Topanga wrote:David, I sure wish I was in your area...I'd take a Lamb Hass and Sir Prize off your hands, maybe one of the cold hardier ones also. If you hear of anyone driving down to LA, ask them if they have room for a few trees in their car/van/truck.

Cold hardy-wise, how do the Lamb Hass and Sir Prize compare to a Fuerte. This winter I had three nights down to 24-25F and my Fuerte tree (in a container still) didn't seem to be affected other than a little leaf burn.

John
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Gel_Oil&Rum » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Gel_Oil&Rum

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b
Hi David,

I'd like to get one of your cold hardy trees. Are they still available? I'm in Turlock.

Thanks!

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:45 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
David, I was surprised that the Fuerte survived 24-25F with so little damage. Usually when it gets that cold here, by 10pm the temps are in the low 30's and the coldest point is around 6-7am. So that means 7-9 hours below 32F and it happened three days in a row. How's that compare to your home when the temperatures drop that low?

I have 4 or 5 seedling Fuertes about 12" tall, so this gives me hope that when I can find scionwood to graft onto them there's a chance of survival.

Of course, what I'd really like are some Duke seeds to sprout and grow, and also use as rootstock. I've read that there were Duke trees growing somewhere in the Los Angeles/Orange County area but I've never found any more information about them.

Postby MARLONLARA » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 pm

MARLONLARA

Climate Zone: 8B
it would nice if people post some photos of the plants with fruits on it. It also speed up the process of selling-off your plants

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:42 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login