• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Re: Have Hass avocado cuttings

Postby othater » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:21 pm

othater

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
I no longer need the Hass scion cuttings.
I guess its all timing.
I was fortunate to find a local home owner that is willing to give me a couple branch cuttings.
Thank you

Postby houston » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 am

houston

Climate Zone: USDA 9
David,

If you still have some Hass scions I would be very grateful. I have a vigorous growing I have named Goku. A 1/8" or 1/4" scion would probably work best for grafting on this particular tree :)

Here's to hoping you are still pruning!

Regards,

Austin

Re: karma payback

Postby DavidInAmity » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:25 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 8 in Amity Oregon
Well, as they say, Karma payback can be a byitch.

Here is what I sent to obeasethug:

Maybe looks like asparagus but is Hass avocado cuttings. Haven't heard a word from him, nary a thank you or a check for postage (which is all I asked for. My family of three lives below the poverty line, and we accept NO charity or government dollars, so even so simple a thing can cause problems here). Ah well, I guess I needed to fast for a day or two anyway, else I might have to change my name to ObeaseButStillAmiableInAmity or something...

obeasethug,

Well, thank you not, and I hope you enjoy your life. You in turn should remember: "Karma payback can be a byitch"...

othater,

Glad you got your cuttings locally. If I may ask, what is it you hate so much as to make it your login name? Overtime? Off topic poseurs?

houston,

So, OK, are you good for your word? Will you pay the postage it takes to send the cuttings to you? Yes, I can still send cuttings. If your word is good, send me a pm with your address...

To all,

Maybe if you've taken an affectation to reading my posts, maybe you begin to understand why people don't share more with people they don't already know. The internet is a horrible place to try to figure out social norms, as anybody can be whoever they want to be, thugs or haters or whatever...

As for me, just say I accept my karma...

Best regards!

PS: no more avocado cutting requests this year, please. If anybody wants to take the effort to dig up this post next year, who knows I might still have avocado trees then! And maybe some money to pay for postage (<grin>).

Postby othater » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:15 pm

othater

Climate Zone: USDA 10A
Glad you got your cuttings locally. If I may ask, what is it you hate so much as to make it your login name? Overtime? Off topic poseurs?

Yes very good. I picked the name while I was forced to worked many hours OT back in the day. I've kept it since.

As far as the scion wood I got. I grafted 5 pieces which two have turned black and died. I tried different lengths and of the three left the two four inch scion wood are still green but I do not see any growth. The last one just for not knowing is about a foot long and is also still green without growth. So I'm on the waiting game. Might be the wrong season to graft in SoCal?

Postby DavidInAmity » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:31 am

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

othater,

Thanks for the answer. Always good to know I can still figure things out, even as I work on improving my social graces (<grin>).

I haven't yet grafted avocados, and don't live in your part of the world, but my understanding of fall grafting is that you want the scion to attach itself and that is about all until next spring. See:

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8001.pdf

for a little more information.

If you want more help, probably best to start a new thread in the main cloudforest forum, and include some photos.

Best regards.

Postby houston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:41 am

houston

Climate Zone: USDA 9
David,

I have been a long time reader, however, not created an account until recently and have not posted enough to enable Private Messaging. Paying for postage is certainly reasonable and expected. From the pictures of your scions, do you have any smaller widths, in the 1/8" range. My wood is currently just under 1/4"

Best,

Austin

Postby DavidInAmity » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:56 am

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Austin who is also known as houston:

Well, avocado twigs don't come much smaller than 1/4 " or so, about the size of a #2 pencil. Even at the very tips, they are that size (and you don't want to use the very tips for grafting, so I've been told). Maybe better to wait until spring, to let your "rootstock" size up more?

And yes, it does bear passing notice that you are a complete newcomer here, who was spurred to post by the desire for [avocado] plant material.

The same is true for othater: all of his postings concern getting [avocado] plant material.

And the same is true for obeasethug: all of his postings concern getting [avocado] plant material.

I don't think most of the "old timers" here realize that most new people start posting in the hopes of increasing their plant collection, -not- for help on how to grow things. And this is especially true for anyone outside of California,

And of course I feel an extreme sympathy for all such people, living in a place where they are very very few subtropical fruiting plants available.

So, now you know why I posted the availability of avocado wood! Looking back over the "want" postings, it seems avocado is the most commonly wanted; and very few Californians seem willing to part with any of their material. Or else it is all being handled by PM'ing after the want posts are made, for I surely don't see many responses from people who "have"...

Just another thing that I find slightly hilarious: higher availablity of avocado wood from Oregon than California - especially since the old timers here gave me such a ration of flak for wanting to grow avocados here!

So, to make a long story short, at this point I intend to offer avocodo wood every once in a while, for just the cost of postage (having found out about the free USPS express mail boxes).

Austin/houston, hopefully you will make other posts (post a picture of your avocado tree! Why not?) and accumulate the points or whatever to PM, but if not I can always be contacted via:

http://www.oregonolives.com/

As far as I know, I have the largest private collection of olive tree cultivars in North America. Times they are a changin!

Postby padsfan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:32 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
David if you give something away it should be with an open heart and a smile. I'm glad that you are happy to share and it sucks that people are unthankful buggers but don't let it get to you... and don't send anything out unless they send you a SASE first LOL.

If you need any avo cuttings, please contact me via PM me as I have several cultivars available.

Postby obeasethug » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 pm

obeasethug

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Davidinamity, I am truly sorry for the delay. Your check is in the mail, and my friend and I have graftd our avocados from your cuttings. It appears that I have really rubbed you the wrong way. Not that I feel the need to give you an excuse, but I just returned home from the hospital with a new baby girl. Life has been overly hectic at home recently. I do truley appriciate the cuttings you have givin to me and I hope that my grafts take off and I will someday be able to do the same. I wont ask for help from you again so you wont have to worry about that.

Postby DavidInAmity » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:32 am

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

padsfan:

Thanks for the offer! And the thoughts!

I once had a friend from the old world who told me this story, what a true gift is: "Put some money in a little paper boat. Put the paper boat in the river, watch it drift out of sight." What makes it an act of true giving is that you receive -not a thing- from doing it, not even the satisfaction of knowing that it did anybody any good. I try to keep this story in mind, but some days it is hard.

After I was unemployed, and made unemployable as a result of government policy (manufactuing going offshore, H1B visas here in the U.S., etc). I cashed out all of my meager retirement accounts to start a business with the idea selling "unusual" plants, mostly fruiting subtropicals. Olive trees have worked out the best; I don't really feel like I can sell avocado trees until I can learn how to get them to fruit. One of the key things I think is I definitely need to fertilize trees in pots more (olives don't need so much, and that sort of fooled me I think). Ah well, there is next year coming!

obeasethug:

Yep, probably a little bit of "personality clash". Plus, timing etc. I will keep a keen eye out for your check. Here is a story for you: one of the things that bothers me about having a "micro nursery", is how many people want plants, fruit, leaves, and you see this coming right? - cuttings for free. And even worse, is that the trees seem to get up and walk away! I hate to call it theft, but for example one lady bought 100 olive trees. After she left, I counted the inventory and noticed that more than that were gone. Confronting her by email, she admitted to having some extra trees, maybe a dozen. When I again contacted her with real number missing, she admitted to having the extra 40 trees!

Now, bending over backwards to try to understand this, I think the initial loading of the trees was a mistake. I think she thought she had only 100 trees, and her husband screwed up the count (as did I) while I was helping her select the trees. But, did she just not realize she had SIGNIFICANTLY more trees than she paid for? Human nature being what it is, I don't really think she was trying to cheat me, she just had a very different approach to the deal (and to life) than I had.

None the less, I ended up stressed out, and she ended up with the trees (she lives a significant distance away, and it just wasn't worth it to drive there and get the trees).

So, I guess, I am doing all of this for the stories I can tell.

Best regards to all.

PreviousNext

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login