• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

OT: improving my social graces...

Postby DavidInAmity » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 8 in Amity Oregon
obeasethug,

Forgot to say congratulations on your new baby girl.

Congratulations!!

I do hope she has a somewhat normal name though - not something from your wild gamer days (<grin>).

Best of luck, and may you all share much happiness in the coming years!

Re: Have Hass avocado cuttings

Postby houston » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:42 am

houston

Climate Zone: USDA 9
Here she is. Seed started germinating inside the fruit before it was even eaten, figured it was a good grower. Time has shown that to be true thus far :)

Contrary to what I have read, this tree has endured Texas's brutal summer sun for 8+ hours a day and has only suffered very little burning on the tips of few leaves.

P.S. Congratulations on the newborn! Say goodbye to sleep!

Postby DavidInAmity » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:05 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Houston,

Time to decide if you are cutting bait or fishing! The weather is beginning to close in on me here, and the cuttings need to be taken now or not until next year. The wood is noticeably not in as good a shape as it was a month ago (after a month of constant rain here in the Great Pacific North Wet).

To me, your tree looks a little to small, at least for commercial type grafting (cleft grafts). But, it's up to you, as it is your tree!

Let me know where to ship the cutting to, and that your word is good for the postage, and I can ship them tomorrow.

Or next summer.

Best regards!

Postby houston » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 am

houston

David,

I agree with the size of the tree. I am going to let it grow some more before I start to graft onto it. Out of curiosity, in your experience, what cultivar is most cold hardy? Thanks again for offering!

-Austin

Postby DavidInAmity » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:58 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

houston,

Busy picking olives here - picked some really nice Amfissa today! By the way, assuming you are in Texaz, did you know it is probably the #2 state for production of olive oil nowadays?

As to my avocado trees, O.K., I will tell the story of how they are doing, sometime in the next several weeks, including winter hardiness, as I prepare them for winter. But I will do it starting a new post in the main forum, as that is where it belongs in my opinion.

Next spring is probably the best time for you to get scions. There are several people in Texas who post here who look like they are putting together collections of avocados, but is seems they are doing it with mostly different cultivars that Californians usually have (for what it is worth, one of these these guys was recently kicked off the forum by The Owner, so I guess we wont see him around here anymore...).

Hope to see you around on these forums sometime again!

Postby houston » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:39 am

houston

David,

I'm originally from VT and plan on returning in a few years. My plan for the time being is to grow the avocado tree in a container on a winter hardy scion and take it home eventually where it can live outside during the warmer months. We live in the inner city to be close to work so everything I grow is on a balcony, otherwise I would love the grow olives, (if only for the wood. It has an awesome grain when made into boards)

Previous

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:48 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login