• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

JABUTICABA

Postby MARLONLARA » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:06 am

MARLONLARA

Climate Zone: 8B
Has anybody planted a Jabuticaba Plant fruit-bearing tree in the family Myrtaceae? How does it taste? Can it survive our Northern California climate of 8b zones? This is an interesting plant where it it fruits in its trunks..amazing....The buzz I read is that it taste like grapes. What variety of grapes?, Concord or Muscadine?

Re: JABUTICABA

Postby Oolie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
They are like concord grapes, I don't know how cold sensitive they are.

What stops most people from buying them is the long time they take to bear fruit and that they are very slow growers. There do exist seeds reported to bear far sooner though, http://www.fruitlovers.com/seedlistUSA.html (search "fast growing hybrid").

Postby micklips » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:29 am

micklips

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 24
Jabuticaba is quite popular in Brazil. When I was down there, they were selling home made liquers made from it. It was quite delicious.

Postby Richard Primbs » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Richard Primbs

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 20, USDA zone 10
I grow jaboticaba. Mine is only about 4 feet tall. I bought it from Top Tropicals a couple of years ago. I just planted it directly into the ground in full sun and I didn't acclimate it. I have heard that they don't like alkaline soil, but my soil tends a little towards the alkaline side and it seems fine. They seem to respond well to a regular fertilizer program.

I don't know how hard they are but I know of a few people who are growing them unprotected in the Central Valley.

Postby Ahem... » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Ahem...

Climate Zone: zone 10-11(microclimate
I'd say it tastes like concord grapes, they can survive 8b from what I've read... I have planted two, one had fruit on it when I got it and is beginning to put out flower buds.
Ahem...

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:05 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login