• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Looking for loquat and feijoa scionwood/cuttings

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:55 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
I have some seedling loquat trees that are about 3 feet tall, started to branch last year. I'd like to find some scionwood from different varieties such as Big Jim, Tanaka, Early Red, McBeth.

Same for some young and old feijoa trees. I have two older feijoa trees/bushes that bloom in Sept/Oct, and never have any fruit so even though I've heard it's difficult to do, I want to graft some different types onto them and also ontothe 2 year old seedling I have. Variety names that I've heard of are Coolidge, Choiceana, Superba, Mammoth, anything from Mark Albert (Albert's Supreme, Albert's Pride, Albert's Choice).

I have a young Nazameth Feijoa so that's one I don't need, but I can offer some cuttings off of it.

Also have Condor dragonfruit cuttings if anyone wants to trade.

John

Re: Looking for loquat and feijoa scionwood/cuttings

Postby konan99 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 pm

konan99

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 15
Are you still interested in scionwood? I have Big Jim loquat.

I would skip Coolidge has bland taste and is used for hedge. How's your Nazameth taste like? CRFG said it has excellent taste.

Tom

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:06 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Hi Tom, thanks for the scionwood offer. I definitely would like some. It's interesting to hear about the Coolidge taste, I was under the opposite impression so I'll think twice about that variety. About Nazameth, mine hasn't produced any fruit yet, it's in a 15 gal container, very healthy looking, and bloomed a bit last year...but for all my attempts at hand pollinating, I didn't get any fruit so I can't say what they taste like yet.

About loquat scionwood, here's some information about taking cuttings that I found online...

"Loquat scionwood, collecting: Choose a two-year-old branch that is 1/2-inch in diameter, straight and blemish-free. Cut through the branch at a point below the fourth or fifth bud, creating a 6- to 8-inch long scion...collect between flushes of growth and when not in bloom. Can use fuzzy growth buds plus those further down the stem. Graft during any season."

That looks like good information. And although I'm not sure about grafting in the middle of winter. I don't mind trying since so far this S. Calif fall/winter has been mild, 100 fewer chill hours (here in Topanga Canyon) than last year at this time. I could probably also use cuttings smaller than 1/2" diameter, some of the side branches are 1/4"-3/8".

Let me know how the timing works for you.

John

Postby konan99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:22 pm

konan99

Would late Jan or early Feb work for you? I plan to trim the tree around that time and I can send the woods to you. I'll upload some pictures of the tree later.

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:45 pm

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

February sounds good. I'll cover the shipping if you'll let me know what it is. But no need to pay for a Priority Mail box like someone did last year($10). I think putting the wood(in a plastic baggie with some moisture) inside a padded envelope(or with some bubble wrap around it) and rolling the envelope up into a cylinder will offer good protection, and 1st class mail always works for me. I've also taken a cardboard cracker box(cut open) and rolled it around the package forming a triangular cylinder...that was pretty strong. And odd shapes probably get a little extra attention and handling in the post office system.

Please excuse all the instructions, I'm just trying to pass on what's worked for me.

Postby konan99 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:52 pm

konan99

Not at all. It's a good learning experience for me since I never shipped anything "live".

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:05 pm

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Hi Tom, I'm just checking to see if you've pruned your Big Jim tree yet. This has been a warmer than usual winter and my feijoa seedlings are all pushing new leaves.

John

Postby socal10b » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:00 pm

socal10b

Climate Zone: 10b
I'm pruning 2 branches off of my big jim to make room to graft another varieties on to it. Send me a paid usps label or you can pick it up locally. PM me if you are interested.

Postby Oolie » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:26 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
socal10b wrote:I'm pruning 2 branches off of my big jim to make room to graft another varieties on to it. Send me a paid usps label or you can pick it up locally. PM me if you are interested.

Good luck on that one. The story behind the BJ loquat is that Jim tried to graft on to the seedling, two grafts failed, so he just let it grow, and it ended up being a tasty, productive variety.

It would appear that grafts to it do not necessarily take readily.

Postby socal10b » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:44 am

socal10b

Climate Zone: 10b
Hi Oolie, I remembered u sent me couple of loquat scions before, they didn't make it. I owe u one, si let me know if u need big jims.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login