• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Palm removal

Postby raven » Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 am

raven

Climate Zone: 7
[textlink=][/textlink]

Hi, I have a problem. Some type of Palm bush is popping up all over my yard. They grow so fast and are very sharp. My dog nearly put her eye out by running into them. I have tried Round up. I even poured gas on every sprout. I even had tree trimmers doing my trees and they cut about 9 new starts out and swore the would not come back. Well, they just appeared somewhere else. They are pretty but so sharp. How can I get rid of them? Thanks. :)

Re: Palm removal

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
Pictures?

Can't imagine gas is a good solution, it would kill everything around them.
Have you tried using a rototiller? Laying down weed block?

Postby Lorax » Tue May 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Round up and gas are 2 things that should not be poured on your soil, especially with your animals running around the yard. Do you have a shovel?

Postby raven » Wed May 16, 2012 3:14 pm

raven

Climate Zone: 7
Really people? I hesitated to even ask questions on this web site. My first impression was that most responders had a self-rightious attitude. I see I was correct. Being rude or snide is a waste of time and certainly gives a clue to your IQ,

Postby padsfan » Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 pm

padsfan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 24
Maybe I'm missing something but I only see one rude comment on this thread.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sat May 19, 2012 2:00 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Raven, I have to ask, if the plants are so dangerous, why are they not being pulled out, while tiny. I get Mexican Fan palms coming up in my yard all of the time, they take a few years before they really begin to grow beyond a 4 to 6 inches tall.

As far as the responses, ( being self-righteous attitude. I see I was correct. Being rude or snide is a waste of time and certainly gives a clue to your IQ )

You have to understand, some times boys will be boys, whether 6 or 60, and they like to joke and play around, that is just how they most often relate to each other. You are correct, this kind of response has been more common on Cloudforest in recent times, speaking as one who has been coming here for over 10 years.

I never really saw much of that in their comments, so wonder what upset you. I have found most here down to earth, very friendly and helpful. This site is not for everyone, just like most other sites are not for me. Many other sites have too many know it all's, who really don't know as much as they pretend to; it is more of a social club, then a serious plant or palm people site.

Our minds are funny, but maybe not. We tend to see and find what we look for or expect to happen, and our minds very rarely let us down.

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby Oolie » Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
noone wants to explain the negative responses, but because i can tell that the OP has no idea why there are negative responses, i'll elaborate.

first of all, gas. petroleum contaminates groundwater, and anywhere you look, contamination of groundwater is frowned upon, it's bad for all water sources, let it be a well, a lake, a river, or an ocean. groundwater contaminates migrate an unbelievable distance, which is why many counties offer incentives to bring used motor oil in to be exchanged.

as far as roundup is concerned, there is a number of reasons it's use is frowned upon. for starters, the weedkiller kills more than just weeds, there are a number of crops which it will destroy. currently i'm dealing with a tomato that was subjected to a very small amount of drift from my mother doing some liquid weeding at the advice of a sales rep. also, the company who manufactures the herbicide has been cited as a source of extensive political manipulation, in ways that have allowed plants to be patented, and if the pollen from one of their plants makes its way into your garden, and you use one of the seeds from your own plants, you can be held accountable for theft, with extremely harsh penalties. this is a mockery of capitalism.

so you see there are reasons why people are frustrated with your actions, because you have done things without considering all the consequences.

one way to stop the growth of a tree is to use a copper stake, cut the tree down, and pound a stake into it.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Tue May 22, 2012 8:53 am

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

I had forgotten about copper stakes, do they make them for that purpose, or can one buy liquid copper in some form and drill holes into the cambium layer of the tree and kill it like using Roundup. I am asking, as I forgot, I need to kill a dwarfing Apricot tree root, from a tree I cut down a couple months ago. I cut the tree down, it was not productive in this area, but its rootstock is invasive, keeps sending up new rootstock trees, everywhere, 20 feet plus out from the trunk, that was before I cut it down. I have not done anything to kill it, as I have given up Roundup, and really haven't done the research to find natural solutions, for the very limited purposes I was using it for, been so busy with more pressing yard, fruit tree and extended family crisis.

David

=======================
Some may not want to read the rest of this post, even though totally correct and true.

That is what I have to say about behavior, from one who had compiled many decades of suffering and pain from my ill behavior, but mostly others.

Everyone has choices, everyone has a different life style, personality and way of relating and taking care of plants.

The Mission Statement of this site if you will is, A Community of Eclectic Gardeners. That means we are a people who research, learn and then share and glean from each other's experiences and yes even jives and pokes at times. I guess having used some of those things mentioned, in a pinch decades ago, I see the humor of it, and well they do work in may cases.

Eclectic, to take the best of what you come across and put in your own life and toss out what does not work as well anymore. I have always done that, my entire life, but one has to be tolerant and patient, and allow everyone the same. Because someone says something I don't like, understand or agree with, does not make it a personal attack. If one goes about being upset and offended at every turn with everything you don't like, then pretty soon the World seems a very unfriendly place, and you have a very narrow group of friends or none at all. In all actuality, becoming upset and etc, is a defense mechanism, used by people to control other people, and is a prime classical method used by physical, mental and verbal abuser to control people, it can be a very thin line between a re-active Victim and an attacking controlling abuser. People get upset feel offend, because it gets them what they want.

It is far more productive to not be offended and just go with the flow. Though there is nothing wrong with saying, I don't believe in man made chemicals and etc, and by saying that, you should get more refined answers to your question, if there is one.

Everyone puts in their two cents, from what they know and have experienced. Many, many times I have given what I know, and more then a few times found my foot part part way in or entirely in my mouth. I just step back, analyze, and if I can use what some of what others have given, I take it and put it to use myself, sometimes that is how I talk to people, sometimes info I did not know or had forgotten about.

The world is a place of lessening tolerance, when we should be developing more, as the world grows smaller and smaller. I practice anti cultural, racial, etc behavior, I love to walk up to those I don't know in public places and a strike up a conversation with them, to learn more about them; how can one be upset or hate anyone they know and love.

David

Postby Axel » Tue May 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
This is the wrong forum for this. This forum is for exchanging scions. If you want advice for removing a plant, first try to figure out what it is you are trying to remove so that people can actually help you. Whatever it is, it's not a palm, because palms are killed once the top is removed. Even suckering palms will just sucker in one place, not all over the place. Posting a picture in order to get an ID is step one.

However, even if you knew what it was, going around passing judgement on other people and calling them self righteous isn't going to get you any help whatsoever. Besides, isn't it a bit self righteous on your part to claim other people have low IQ? From what I was reading in the posts above, people were simply suggesting that it's not a good idea to pour gasoline and roundup in your garden because it will poison both your soil and your dog. But since you think you are obviously so much better than the rest of us, perhaps another website might be a better place for you to get help.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:51 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Thanks Axel,

David

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:03 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login