• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Pawpaw sapling to a good home

Postby savoiu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:24 pm

savoiu

Climate Zone: 9b
I have 1 such sapling.

Re: Pawpaw sapling to a good home

Postby tsaephan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:32 am

tsaephan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9
Just out of curiosity, do you know when Paw Paws won't need shade cover? I have a 3 2nd year saplings under cover. The wind keeps blowing off my cover I built for 2 of them, which keeps frying them and their leaf buds before they could break open, the one that consistently had its cover not blown off by the wind, broke bud and has quite a few leaves.

If it'll be a few more years, I may need to build something more permanent and stable.

Postby Lorax » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:14 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Hi Savoiu,
I have a nice spot to plant paw paw. Please let me know if still available. Thanks.

Postby jnisly » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25 pm

jnisly

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b
tsaephan wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you know when Paw Paws won't need shade cover? I have a 3 2nd year saplings under cover. The wind keeps blowing off my cover I built for 2 of them, which keeps frying them and their leaf buds before they could break open, the one that consistently had its cover not blown off by the wind, broke bud and has quite a few leaves.

If it'll be a few more years, I may need to build something more permanent and stable.

I grew up in Indiana and foraged pawpaws there, and from my observation of the pawpaw in its native range, it was always found as an understory tree, with oak, hickory, and maple as the overstory. Since it grows in the shade there, I'm sure it would need shade here where the summers are dry and much hotter.

Postby MARLONLARA » Sun May 11, 2014 11:02 pm

MARLONLARA

Climate Zone: 8B
Pawpaw really doesn't need shade cover. Pawpaw thrives well outdoor in full sun in our 8b USDA zones

Postby tsaephan » Wed May 14, 2014 11:18 am

tsaephan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9
I believe Paw Paws and cherimoyas do need cover until a certain age, I'm just curious when that age is. I know someone local to me who has paw paws. She has a few older plants which are taller than 4 feet without cover, but her seedlings were all under shade cover.

She gave me a few seedlings and I made the mistake of not covering them and they lost all their leaves and looked like they weren't going to make it. I made the same mistake with cherimoyas as well. I realized my mistake and gave the paw paws shade cover and they were able to recover but my cherimoya seedlings never recovered. This year they are doing a lot better because they are always under shade cover. I was just curious if there was a certain "age" or "height/size" when they won't need them anymore.

I also got new cherimoya seedlings and put them under shade cover and they are doing well versus last year.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:37 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login