• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Plant Sale - Rare, Edible, Medicinal, Drought Tolerants!

Postby rudder » Thu May 10, 2012 10:02 am

rudder
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
Hello Everyone I'm having a plant sale on June 9th 2012. I hope you all come out to support a fellow grower. I'd like to raise some money so I can buy more potting soil and continue my hobby.

Check out my blog:
http://xerilicious.wordpress.com/

And here's the latest update of the inventory:

Plant Inventory – June 2012
Plant Sale: Saturday, June 9, 2012
915 Randolph Rd.
Santa Barbara, CA 93111

Plant – (Scientific Name): Size and Price:

Apple Cactus (Cereus repandus) 1gallon - $10 – Buy two get one

Bolivian Torch Cactus (Trichocereus bridgesii) 5gallon - $30

San Pedro Cactus (Trichocereus pachanoi) 5gallon - $20 – Buy two get one

Sun Opener (Heimia salicifolia) 1gallon - $10 – Buy two get one; 5gallon - $20

Velvet Brandybush (Grewia flava) 1gallon - $10

White Crossberry (Grewia tenax) 1 gallon - $10

Rajapuri Bananas (Musa cv. ‘Rajapuri’) 5gallon - $20; 15gallon - $50

Oca (Oxalis tuberosa) Starter - $5

Okinawan Spinach (Gynura crepioides) Starter - $5

Shade Acacia (Acacia drummondii) 1gallon - $10

Chilean Mesquite (Prosopis chilensis) Sapling - $5

Argentine Mesquite (Prosopis alba) Sapling - $5

Tagasaste (Chamaecytisus palmensis) Small Plant - $5; Large Plant - $10

Jacket Plum (Pappea capensis) 1gallon - $10

Rounded Noon-Flower (Disphyma crassifolium ssp. clavellatum) Starter - $5

Marula (Sclerocarya birrea ssp. caffra) Seedling - $5

Re: Plant Sale - Rare, Edible, Medicinal, Drought Tolerants!

Postby nullzero » Thu May 10, 2012 10:42 am

nullzero
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 21
Nice collection Scott, I love the assortment of plants you are growing. I got some Opuntia sp. coming up which I am going to share with you.

Postby sferber » Thu May 10, 2012 7:52 pm

sferber

Hi Rudder,

I am interested in purchasing some plants. I tried to PM you but it seems like the messages are not reaching you.

Please contact me via PM at your convenience. Thank You.

Postby rudder » Fri May 11, 2012 11:31 am

rudder
Cloudforest Expert

I've already received one PM requesting shipment of plants, so I must explain the rules:

I'm emphasizing an event-type, in person sale for the date mentioned above. I've never shipped live plants before and, to be honest, it seems like a pain - especially since I've received plants that didn't survive. So that's why the in-person sale takes priority. It's first-come, first-served. Whatever doesn't get sold at the sale, I will probably drop the price a bit and send out to whoever requested earlier. Cloudforest is the only online venue for people who are interested in having plants shipped. So, if you're a member of Cloudforest, you can send requests, but I won't check my PMs until after the sale. Also, people who have less than 10 posts don't count. You should be a trustworthy member of this online community.

Think of the sale as more of a fundraising event, to help me move out of my parents' house, buy some potting soil, and save some money to move out to the Yuma area to study, firsthand, agroforestry as a method for reclaiming desertified land. I also am finishing up a book, which relates to this subject that I'm planning on self-publishing this year. So, the proceeds from the sale will help me pay the costs of getting the book published.

In fact, let's just call this whole thing a book publishing fundraiser.

Yes, sferber, I got your message, but I haven't read it yet.

And yes, all the plants were propagated organically.

Postby Axel » Fri May 11, 2012 12:17 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Moving to scion exchange forum where this post needs to be.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby sferber » Fri May 11, 2012 3:03 pm

sferber

Hi Rudder,

Thanks for the reply and best wishes with your book publishing and plant sale. I wish that was able to attend.

Keep me posted on your Yuma adventures. Where are you performing your research in Yuma?

While I am certainly not an expert, I do know that there are many different microclimates throughout the Yuma and Imperial Valley areas. One interesting thing that I have noticed is that certain crops are able to be planted in some parts and not in others. I have heard various differing explanations as to why this is the case; including less salinity in the water in certain areas, less alkaline soil, less pest problems in certain parts due better long-term pest management and crop rotation. It seems that most of the Orchard based crops are planted in the Northern areas.

If you have time check out the remains of the failed fields of Jojoba planting just at the Western Edge of the desert.

Postby rudder » Sun May 13, 2012 10:54 am

rudder
Cloudforest Expert

Well nothing's set in stone, but I've got my eye on the area south and southwest of the Yuma Mesa: Somerton and San Luis. It only gets 70-100mm of annual rainfall though, so you're very limited in what you can grow without irrigation.

Where are the jojoba fields?

Postby rudder » Sun May 13, 2012 12:54 pm

rudder
Cloudforest Expert

I'm also interested in spearheading some sort of non-profit agroforestry coalition to introduce exotic, dryland crop species in southern Baja amongst the xeric forests of the windward side of the Sierra de La Laguna mountain range. This is an area that receives 300-550mm of average annual rainfall, which is quite a bit for Southern Baja standards. The ample summer monsoonal moisture, and the intriguing topography creates many opportunities for the integration of tropical arid zone fruit trees and staple crops with the drought-inhibiting design of rainwater harvesting earthworks.

On the windward side of the mountain range, there are many plant species that are potential candidates: Syagrus coronata, Stenocereus queretaroensis, Sclerocarya birrea ssp. caffra, Prosopis sp., Faidherbia albida, Pithecellobium dulce, Aloe vera, Tamarindus indica....the list is practically endless.

On the leeward side of the range, however, the list of potential candidates grows smaller as the average annual rainfall totals decrease. The lack of rainfall, actually makes species selection easier, since there are less possibilites, and thus less room for debate about the proper species. The leeward side could perhaps sustain Coccinia sessilifolia, Argania spinosa, Cordeauxia edulis as well as the native, Stenocereus gummosus. A lot also depends on the substrate.

The typical problems of conventional agriculture in an arid climate (soil salinization/sodication, overconsumption of water, erosion, etc.) are apparent, and a severe drought has affected the region for the past few years. The drought has become so serious, that the Mexican government has declared the area a natural disaster zone. (http://www.europapress.es/latam/mexico/ ... 64926.html)

This drought has brought a lot of attention to the region and there is more dialogue regarding sustainable solutions. It's a good time for enthusiastic, idealistic, and intelligent people to implement food production systems that require little to no irrigation.

This source cracks me up because they're talking about conserving water, yet they're growing bananas:
http://www.permacultureusa.org/2009/06/ ... hallenges/

Postby sferber » Wed May 16, 2012 4:10 pm

sferber

rudder wrote:Well nothing's set in stone, but I've got my eye on the area south and southwest of the Yuma Mesa: Somerton and San Luis. It only gets 70-100mm of annual rainfall though, so you're very limited in what you can grow without irrigation.

Where are the jojoba fields?

Hi Rudder, Somerton would be a good spot to perform your research. I suspect that the establishment of the plants will be challenge especially if coming from a much milder climate.

The failed jojoba project is near the Holtville airport in the desert. Many plants are still alive, but they never achieved the production they were looking for. You can see the aging and dry irrigation ditches. I will confirm the location for you and send you an aerial image as a google maps link.

Postby sferber » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:11 pm

sferber

Nice to Meet you Scott and thanks for the awesome plants.

Next

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:47 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login