• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Scion Exchange Rules

Postby Axel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Welcome to the scion exchange forum. Please use the following guidelines to post your requests:

1) Titles: if you are looking for something in particular, start your post title with the word WANT. If you have something you want to share, start your post with the word HAVE.

2) Please respect phytosanitary regulations and other govt regulations. That means do not offer up patented varieties, and do not trade things across illegal boundaries.

3) Please note special restrictions on citrus: absolutely no citrus trading unless you have a tree that is inspected by Ag. Also note that Citrus is quarantined in the south. Greenwood should not travel from Southern California to Northern California unless it's been soaked in a strong pesticide.

4) By using this forum, you agree to take responsibility for any of your actions, and not hold the Cloudforest or any of its founders liable for your actions, Do not use the Cloudforest to trade scion wood illegally.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Re: Scion Exchange Rules

Postby Jason (palo alto) » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Jason (palo alto)
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Z17, 9b
I would disagree with item 3, I'm pretty sure you can't move citrus scions legally at all even if it is ag inspected. No matter what it has been soaked in. The only "legit" place for citrus scions in california is the CCPP (http://ccpp.ucr.edu/). I could be wrong though.
There may be some work arounds like if you just had scions shipped to you from CCPP you could probably resend them to others and be ok.

Postby Axel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:24 pm

Axel
Site Admin

Climate Zone: 12b/H2 & 10b/S23
Jason, you're not quite correct. Some CRFG members have paid the $30 annual fee from the Ag. Dept. to have their trees inspected for disease, and as such are allowed to distribute their scions. If you care to distribute scion wood, you can do so but yes, you have to have your tree inspected and tagged. My rule is simple: don't trade citrus unless you have one of these permits.
Tropical gardening in both Kaua'i windward Sunset H2/USDA 12b and Fallbrook Sunset 23/USDA 10b.

Postby DavidLJ48 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:38 pm

DavidLJ48
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA zone 9b
Axel, I did not realize the inspection fee was so small. Is that $30 for one tree or all that you might have ? Over here we are clean, have never seen any disease, but better safe then sorry and best to comply within reason.

So does this mean, that the CRFG exchanges no longer offer Citrus Scion wood ?

Who do you apply to?

David
Sunset zone 14, USDA zone 9b

Postby NoMoreNicksLeft » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am

NoMoreNicksLeft

Climate Zone: USDA 7B, Sunset 10
Axel,

Is this for budwood only, or would other propagative materials be welcome?

John O.

Postby Evan Williams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:21 pm

Evan Williams

Climate Zone: 7a
Axel,
I've been told that it's difficult to find the true Berner Rosen. Knowing that you love this apple, I wanted to inquire from you. My Berner Rosen came to me spring 2013, as a benchgraft from Wagon Wheel Orchard, which was getting their scion wood from the last Nick Botner had for sale. Is my tree likely the real deal? If not, does the germplasm repository in Geneva have the genuine article?

Thanks,
Evan

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:43 pm

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
Here in the Los Angeles area our CRFG chapters didn't allow citrus wood at the exchanges this year. I'm glad to hear there are some CRFG members who have been inspected and are allowed to pass on budwood. I'd sure like to know how to contact some of them, as my budding skills are just developing and I'd like to find some of the interesting varieties that aren't available at local nurseries.

Postby zone 9 in Brazil » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:13 pm

zone 9 in Brazil

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9B
I have a question on my citrus in Brazil. As US Ag cannot inspect my trees, if it is inspected here in Brazil and obtains phylo-sanitary clearance, can it be exported?

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:56 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login