• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Re: Scion, Seeds and Plants available

Postby Lorax » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Yes Avocado Lover ,
I do not have Hass Scion wood. Barath's idea about ordering from EU country is the way to go . I've sent Avo Scion to EU country once and it took 4 weeks to get there but in the spirit of Wilson Popenoe and his Avo Scion wrapped in moss, sealed in tin and sent by Burro and Train they somehow survived all those weeks later. Good Luck.

Postby AvocadoLover » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:48 pm

AvocadoLover

Climate Zone: UK (Same as US) Zone 9A
Good idea, will check them out soon however a main factor I wanted to do was to graft the tree myself. Lorax: I'll note that way you mailed it to the EU down as I will see if any other members on here has a hass scion. Thanks for the help guys :) ^Alex.
Hi! I'm Alex. An avocado and coffee enthusiast, I love to grow fruit.

Postby claudesweet » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 pm

claudesweet

Climate Zone: 9
I have been bring in plant material from Florida and other states that have special permits that allow them to ship to California. Material that is not inspected will be held for inspection when it arrives in California. They can destroy the plants and your expended funds are not eligible for compensation.

Citrus is restricted in movement in many southern counties in California in an effort is stop the spread of insects and diseases. Citrus plants in containers must have inspection tags issued by the CA Nursery Department that identifies the plants have been grown and inspected as disease and insect free prior to issuing the proper certification being tagged and/or stamped on the shipping cartons.

The rules for bring in budwood and scions from out of state are even more complicated, but not impossible. I am long retired, but there was a program for a small - non commercial grower, with less than $500 of sales, to obtain a status with inspections and "non-profit nursery" license. It is worth checking with your County Agricultural Agent for assistance and obtain one as they were provided with no or very low cost.

Because I just turned 76 in January and ladders are very difficult for me to climb, I am top-working several large 30+ year seeding trees: white sapote, a black sapote, and two cherimoyas to achieve cultural management i.e. - pruning, spraying, pollination, and fruit harvesting from the ground. This should achieve a reduction in water consumption as I move to small tree profiles of multiple named cultivars per tree.

My solution has been to purchase named plant material in containers and convert the understory area as a holding space and using drip irrigation to achieve a reduction of total outdoor water usage. My wife and I are transferring cutbacks from cutting back on internal water usage for use by the plants. My wife has drawn a line of showering outdoors. She says that the two year renovation of our house with one entire summer spent with the roof of the bedrooms and baths being open to the sky was enough for one lifetime.

I would like hear about the experiences of others. The next few years I will be air layering some of my subtropical and temperate fruits and be able to share with others.

Claude Sweet
Past President CRFG
Co Author Othro's All About Citrus and Subtropical Fruits

Postby RobertS » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:15 am

RobertS
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset zone 17
Welcome Claude, to the Cloundforest Café I'm a member of CRFG almost 20yrs. and live on Central Coast of Calif. I live ear another old time CRFGer Jack Swords who helped start Central Coast Chapter. I remember your fact sheet on propagation from seed and cuttings of tropical and sub-tropical. I never had the pleasure to meet you but maybe in future. I imagine you must have quite the collection by now! Looking forward to more of your posts.

Postby Jack, Nipomo » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:31 am

Jack, Nipomo
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 17
Claude, I knew I was familiar with that name. Welcome aboard. Hope you share some of your knowledge with the rest of us.

Previous

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:46 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login