• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Re: Top-working young, damaged Avocado tree. Reed scion plea

Postby Lorax » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset 17
Your Lamb Hass looks great! Don't worry about that little broken limb at the top.
You could add some wood chips & compost to the root zone . If you have room plant a Reed elsewhere in your yard.
The Banana Belt in Santa Cruz is an area at the foot of the mountains that gets less fog than the coast , and less cold than the mountains. It is a slight advantage mainly during June & July when it stays overcast by the ocean and 1-2 miles inland is sunny.
I am fruiting the varieties you mentioned in the fog belt and you should be able to have some success in San Jose with those. The extra summer warmth and better soil should benefit valley farmers.

Postby Smarteapantz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:28 am

Smarteapantz

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 15, USDA Zone 9b
Thanks for the words of encouragement, Lorax! (Love the name reference, btw). I will take your advice about mulching the root zone. Originally, there was a decent layer of old Avocado leaves covering that area (which I heard it likes), but most of it blew away over time. But now that winter is approaching, it's time to protect it as much as I can again. I don't have room for another avocado tree in my yard, which is why I want to graft a Reed branch onto my Lamb Hass. I wonder, though, has anyone else on this site had any success with growing two types of avocados on the same tree? (I've see it done with citrus and pitted fruits all the time.)

Postby HoangNguyen » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm

HoangNguyen

Climate Zone: 9b
You will have no problem to grow Reed in San Jose. I heard Reed is a little cold hardy than Hass. I have Hass in my backyard. For the taste, they are better than Costco avocado. For your information, you can grow Longan in San Jose. I would if I have space in my backyard. I knew a person who has grown successfully Longan in Sunnyvale outdoor without any protections. The tree is more than 10 years old and survived last year December cold. I was surprised why not many people grew it in San Jose.

Postby Lorax » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:50 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

You can graft multiple varieties onto one Avocado tree. Yours does not look like a prime candidate to me. Ideally you want to balance the growth of your different varieties , if you graft anything to the top of your tree it would have apical dominance and could dominate the growth on your tree , leaving the lamb Hass below it without any branches to grow upwards and compete for that apical dominance.
When you cut down an older avocado tree and have a 1' diameter stump you can put 3 grafts on that stump, if those fail you can graft water shoots until you succeed. These grafts are at equal height and usually you don't have a graft higher on the tree dwarfing and dominating a graft lower down on the trunk. The root system on this larger tree will make your grafts grow that much faster, just keep nipping the water shoots once your grafts take.

Postby Lorax » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:53 am

Lorax
Cloudforest Expert

Hoang,
How tall is the Longan and when does it fruit ? Are you growing Longan now?
I have extra seedlings from Santa Barbara grown fruit.

Postby HoangNguyen » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 pm

HoangNguyen

Lorax,
I don't have the Longan tree but my coworker does. He bought grafted on from LA. He put it in the ground and protected it the first two winters. After that he didn't protect it at all for all winters. The tree is more than 10 years old. It had flowers and fruits the second years in the ground.

I tried to grow Longan from the seeds but failed to germinate. They all were rotten even I bought them fresh. Later, i know I have to clean the seeds really well so that they will not be rotten and germinate. However, I have no problem to grow lychee from seeds. I have extra lychee seedlings. We can exchange. I love to experiment to grow Longan in pot first since I don't have a space in my backyard.

I also have 2 cocktail avocados. They were seedlings because I failed to grow from the grafted one (killed at least 5). One is 18 feet other 9 feet.

I like to experiment and learn from the failures. I recently grafted tropical guava successfully. However, internet says it is hard to graft tropical guava. That is not true. I plan to make it the cocktail guava.

Postby barathr » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 pm

barathr
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 10a
How does the Longan grown on the San Jose tree taste? Does it ripen well? Do you know what cultivar it is? I've heard of folks growing longan and lychee in the South Bay but haven't known what it takes to do it.

Postby Smarteapantz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:05 am

Smarteapantz

I love Longans too! (More than lychees!) I didn't know it was possible to grow in the Bay Area.

Hoang, do you know which nursery your coworker got the Longan tree from? I'm going down to LA this weekend. Maybe I can pick one up while I'm there!

Lorax, thanks for all the info on grafting. I didn't really think about the competition aspect of putting two different species onto one tree, but you're right. I should let my Lamb Hass recover one more year before I try any grafting. I want to let that top lateral branch I'm training to learn to be the new apical leader. Maybe when that's a success, I can try grafting on the Reed. I still want my tree to be mainly Lamb Hass, and add just a branch of Reed for fun and variety -- "Cocktail" style, as Hoang describes it.

Postby Smarteapantz » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:48 am

Smarteapantz

Also, Hoang, do you think your coworker is willing to share a cutting of his longan tree? I hear that it's best to grow new longan trees from air layering 1 year-old branches, rather than growing from seed, because it fruits in 2-3 years rather than 5-10 years. It would be great to be able to clone a longan tree that's already proven it's hardiness and fruiting abilities. I can't believe his tree is 10 years old!

Postby HoangNguyen » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:58 pm

HoangNguyen

Barathr,

According to my co-worker, he didn't take care it. It has fruits every year but the fruits are not so sweet as the Longan in Asian groceries. Its seeds are big. I heard people said we need to remove half of the fruits (when they are about pinky size.) so that the rest of the fruits on the tree get bigger and sweeter.

Previous

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login