• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Want: Avocado scion

Postby obeasethug » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 am

obeasethug

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b
Looking for a few hardy avocado scions. Mexicola or stewart, or dwarf like wurtz or holiday. I would like cold hardy so I can grow them outside for as long as possible, and have them inside when it is too cold. I don't have anything to trade but am willing to pay and cover shipping. Please let me know if you are willing to stick some in the mail... (I live in Oregon) Thank you.

Re: Want: Avocado scion

Postby obeasethug » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 am

obeasethug

Really nobody has any avocados? Does anyone know if there is some place I can order/buy scions? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Postby DavidInAmity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:31 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 8 in Amity Oregon
So, why did you decide on a "login-name" of obeasethug?

Regards,
David in Amity

Postby obeasethug » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:42 pm

obeasethug

When i was a young skinny white boy I thought it was a funny gamer tag. Now i still use it for everything. Any chance you have some avocado?

Postby DavidInAmity » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:10 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Yes, I have 10 different clonal avocado tree cultivars; 25 avocado trees total on varying rootstocks. Growing here in Oregon.

But I am just a simple country mouse. Tags like obeasethug bother me. Not the obease part. Well, maybe, in a compassionate way. My sister was very overweight (not funny nor amusing) until she put a 9 mm slug thru her head. More information than needed, but there it is.

So, you asked for advise! That I can give. You are facing the same problems I have: Mexican cultivars are more cold hardy, but Guatemaleans are more adapted to cooler climates.

Forget Stewart. That is for only the hottest climates, like Red Bluff where I bought mine.

Mexcican cultivars do not thrive here. They need more summer heat, I think. Sad, since they are the ones that show promise for unprotected outdoor growing here.

Guatemalean Cultivars like Pinkerton and Hass, and especially Reed, show the most promise for fruiting and producing avocados here in Oregon. Reed in particular almost wants to seem to kill itself by reproducing. But they definitely require cold protestion here in Oregon.

See my thread:
http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/palms/avocados-amity-oregon-t1792.html

for more details on my avocados.

All for now,
David in Amity

Postby obeasethug » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 am

obeasethug

I appoogize if my username is offensive, it was not intended to be. I am a country boy as well, I grew up on 20 acres just south of canby.

Thank you for the information, your collection of avocados is impressive. Did you graft your plants that are fruiting? Have you grown any of them from seed?

My friend and I currently are growing our few plants inside most of the year with help from grow lights. We were wanting to try to graft them to try for fruit, but have no idea what we are doing. I was trying to decide if i should try dwarf and keep them potted inside, or try for more cold hardy and grow outside. I was thinking If i grew them outside I would have to make a greenhouse cover to protect them from the colder times.

Postby DavidInAmity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

O.T.:

No: I neither grafted nor grew the rootstocks from pits. It's tough to get started in a virtual avocado desert, and you have found out how tough it is to get scions (<grin> I have a story there too. About 15 pounds of garlic in exchange for help finding suppliers. Another time I'll tell that cautionary tale...), so I brought up trees from California. A good mail order supplier is Cliftons:

http://cliftonsnursery.net/category/612314981/1/Avocado-Trees.htm

Or, Green Thumb in Ventura CA has a large selection in lateish April.

As for dwarf avocados, that is one way to go, but you can grow any avocado cultivar in a #15 pot. Here is a picture of one of my Hass trees (from Cliftons) that is wider than it is tall:

A little training and cultural care goes a long way, but.I think it has about reached it's size limit in a #15 pot.

The conventional wisdom is that avocados need to get large before they will fruit. I am not sure what others mean by large, but this tree is certainly big enough to have fruit.

As for growing indoors or out of doors, my feeling (from growing avocados and citrus under grow lights) is that while plants can and do grow well under grow lights, it is sxtremely difficult to get them to fruit without a lot of natural light as well. See this cloudforest thread for some more thoughts:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/forum/67598.html

Here in the hills above Amity we have a pretty temperate climate, and I leave my citrus and avocado collection outdoors except during the worst storms. In fact, last winter they never got moved indoors at all - they stayed outdoors the entire winter.

So, to the bottom line. I might be pruning this Hass (but no other avocado tree) before putting it into "winter quarters". If I do you are welcome to whatever I prune off. Note though I have not been fertilizing it properly, and the darned thing is dropping almost exactly the same number of leaves as it grows (which is why I think it has reached the maximum it can in this pot), so the wood probably isn't in the best of condition.

But up here where subtropical plants are rarer than four leaved clovers, one can't be too picky, eh?

Postby DavidInAmity » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:51 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

By the way, if you are a bit unsure of what you are doing vis-a-vie avocado grafting, this may be a good place to start:

http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/8001.pdf

Or, there are several threads here on the cloudforest with links to grafting videos.

Regards!

Postby DavidInAmity » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:32 am

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Really?

You have no use for Hass wood? Or by extension my advise since I am telling you it is one of the better ones to try?

C'est la vie. No skin off my nose, so to speak.

Looking over the "scion exchange forum", it doesn't really look like there is a lot of exchanging going on. Maybe it is all being done by "private mail"? Hmmm, maybe I'll fing out by doing a "have" post...

Here is the story of my first attempt to find help getting avocado trees. As a result of posting on avocados and growing them in Oregon, I made a deal with a fairly well known and respeced member of this board. I would send him 15 pounds or so of 22 or so cultivars of garlic (at that time I was growing a lot of garlic), in exchange for his help finding people willing to sell me avocados trees by email.

So, I sent the garlic. Not a word, not even thanks for the garlic.

Months went by. He posted that he had visited some San Diego nurseries (who I had heard sold avocado trees). I gently reminded him by email of his commitment to help me. I got the only response I ever got...

"I guess I just totally forgot about that".

Tough crowd here.

The trick I think is to make yourself known. I ended up going down to California and giving a lecture on olives to a CRFG festival (apparently nobody in the CFRG knew much about olives. I thought it was hilarious to have an Orgonian talk about olives to Californians). Since then, and with time and more visits and posts here, I have gotten several offers for avocado trees and scions.

So, it's not that there are bad people here, it is just very difficul to make a meaningfull connection from such a distance as we are. These guys go to scion exchanges with each other all the time. We auslanders are all just sort of outside The Pale.

And some totally off the wall advise? "The Owner" doesn't seem to mind if people use fake identities (as long as he knows who you really are). I'd re-register as a woman - you will get much more help than coming across as a funny ex skinny white gamer boy...

Best of luck, and I sincerly hope you got the avocado wood you are looking for by pm!

Postby obeasethug » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am

obeasethug

David, Thank you very much for all of the information. I am still interested in some of your trimmings if you have them, or havent trimmed yet. I do not have anything to trade at this point but am willing to buy the clippings from you. I could trade firewood, I have plenty of that. I am sorry for the delayed response, I havnt had a chance to get online. Thank you again for the information and links, your collection is very impressive. Are you going to tranplant any of your avocados into larger pots or in ground?

Next

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login