• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

want white sapote

Postby ellen in berkeley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 am

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
have seedlings, need wood.
also need advice:
one seedling is getting awfully big. missed my window of opportunity. don't want to top it first. my experience with other trees is that grafting to side branches is not successful. anyone have experience grafting to white sapote with the central leader still in place? did it work? or did the tree shed the new wood?

Re: want white sapote

Postby Oolie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Oolie
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 23
My reading on the topic has been anything but extensive, but seems to suggest that no matter how you graft it, white sapotes take well. It might take removal of a large portion of the terminal leaf in order to stimulate growth from lower on the tree, but should be successful.

I was gifted a nice 3.5 foot sapote that I am planning to veneer graft on the sides, while leaving the central leader intact.

Postby ellen in berkeley » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:56 pm

ellen in berkeley
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: sunset 17, ecoregion 11.1.1
veneer graft, now i could try that. i'm pretty good at cleft graft, but i'm a one-trick pony. However, it's not true that white sapote always takes. i have failed at it before.

Postby BayAreaTropical25 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:30 pm

BayAreaTropical25
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9b/10a Sunset 17
I don't have a whole lot of experience grafting white sapote, but have had a few successes with it already. I think if you're comfortable with cleft graft you should do that. If the scion is a little smaller, just match one side. I've done that with a few different trees by now. Seems to work fine. Prior experiences show that cambium grows in to fill the area.

I'm still novice at grafting having only had my first success in 2012. So I may be wrong, but it's worth a try.

Postby George » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:00 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
I am a horrible grafter but have managed to get more than 50% with white sapote recently. Have a few varieties grafted to 2 roots. Rainbow, Roa, Tremont, cant remember the others. More than willing to share. PM an address.

Postby martin-o » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:02 pm

martin-o

Climate Zone: 9
Any chance I could get some Rainbow? I'm looking for any of the unusual flavors such as Michelle and especially Leroy.

I can trade various dragonfruit, Hunza apricot, Black Beauty mulberry.

Thanks,

Martin

Postby George » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:13 pm

George
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: ssz 23
Martin, sorry for the delay. PM me with your address and I will get rainbow to you. Rainbow is the healthiest of my branches here in San Diego. And I would like to get a bit of the Black Beauty.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login