• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

WANTED: Avocado seed - Cold Hardy

Postby houston » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 am

houston

Climate Zone: USDA 9
In search of a cold hard avocado seed for root stock in zone 9 (Houston). Will plant in container over Houston winter and transplant as house warming present for a friend in the spring.

Re: WANTED: Avocado seed - Cold Hardy

Postby organik » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:09 pm

organik

Climate Zone: 9a
u missed the window 2 months ago. i had a bunch.

Postby houston » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:20 am

houston

Ha, bummer. The idea just popped into my head. I haven't seen any seeds on eBay either. Maybe i'm not looking in the right places.

Postby cchan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:21 pm

cchan
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: 9-10
houston wrote:In search of a cold hard avocado seed for root stock in zone 9 (Houston). Will plant in container over Houston winter and transplant as house warming present for a friend in the spring.

Sorry for the late response but you would want seeds from the mexicola variety. The one you should be after is seed from Don Juan (from Aravaipa) the most cold hardy one currently known in cultivation.

Postby houston » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:07 pm

houston

Thanks for the heads up change. I'll start my search there.

Postby kingoceanos » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:18 am

kingoceanos

Climate Zone: USDA Zone 8B
Just curious, did you have any luck finding seeds? I never did find a good source here in Conroe Texas for cold hardy seeds, so I eventually went through all of the types sold at the grocery store. Of all of the types I could readily find the Slimcaddo actually grafted the best for me. The other types just never took, of course the slimcaddo has a big seed with a lot of stored energy so that might play into it. These are not considered cold hardy so after talking with people at the Texas Ag department after the graft has completely healed over you can bury the tree further or mound soil up around it to insulate the graft. That way if your tree does freeze back the new growth in the spring will be the variety you grafted.
Good luck:)

Postby TucsonKen » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:37 am

TucsonKen

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b, almost 9a
'Lula' is often used as a rootstock for cold hardy (and other) avocados, at least in part because it is very large and can easily be grafted when the thick, new shoot is just a few inches tall. This lets you keep the graft union very close to the seed so it can be buried below ground level. Lula seeds are sold by Ciomperlik Farms in San Juan, Texas, but they are geared toward large commercial avocado orchards, and when I checked with them a few years ago, wouldn't sell a few seeds to a backyard grower. However, I ordered a gift box of 8 Lula avocados, which they shipped to me, and after eating the fruit, I planted the seeds and used the seedlings for rootstocks.

I have also used seedlings from my cold hardy 'Wilma' as rootstocks, but since the seeds are smaller and the shoots are much thinner, they are a little trickier to graft.

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:26 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
Where did you order the Lula gift box from. I tried googling for it and couldn't come up with anything.

John

Postby TucsonKen » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:28 pm

TucsonKen

Climate Zone: USDA zone 8b, almost 9a
I checked my notes, and back when I ordered the gift box of Lulas from Ciomperlik, the invoice was paid to Apex Technologies. I tried calling the number I had for them, but Apex appears to no longer be in business.

At the November 2015 AZRFG meeting in Phoenix, Stan Ciomperlik spoke and demonstrated grafting, and a few weeks afterward, AZRFG distributed a quantity of his Lula seeds among interested members, so they might have information about how to obtain more seeds.

I also found this contact info online:
Ciomperlik Farms
900 El Gato Road
San Juan, TX 78589
Phone: (956) 702-8111
Email: ciomperlikfarms@yahoo.com
Stan Ciomperlik
Principal

Postby jbclem 9b Topanga » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:43 am

jbclem 9b Topanga
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 9b
Thanks TucsonKen. I'll try the email address and see if I can get some seeds from them.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:47 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login