• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Wanted: White Sapote and 'Santa Fe' carob scions

Postby Joshua_TX » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Joshua_TX

Climate Zone: USDA zone 9a
Hello, I'm looking for budwood of white sapote, the varieties I'm looking for in particular are:
Rainbow, Walton, Malibu#3
Lemon Gold
Vernon
Suebelle
Santa Cruz

I am also trying to source budwood of the 'Santa Fe' carob, or wood of any black sapote or feijoa you're proud of.

I can cover postage, send a SASE, or give an IOU for January scionwood of what I have.

All the best.

Joshua

Re: Wanted: White Sapote and 'Santa Fe' carob scions

Postby Ashok » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:04 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: Sunset Zone 14, USDA Zone 9b
Joshua,

I can supply some (although not all) of the white sapote cultivars that you mentioned. If you still have my address, just send me a SASE.

Postby martin-o » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:02 pm

martin-o

Climate Zone: 9
Hi there. I hate to jump on the bandwagon, but any chance I might be able to get a couple of white sapote scions too? I'd be more than happy to trade something or reimburse. I planted a McDill this year because it was all that I could find. Now that it's taking off I'd love to graft some branches over to more interesting cultivars. I've heard really good things about Rainbow, Walton, Malibu and the others already mentioned.

What's the story about 'Santa Fe' carob?

Thanks,

Martin

Postby Ashok » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

Martin,

If you send me a SASE, I could send you a few scions. Write to me off-forum.

I don't think "McDill" is a bad cultivar, honestly -- but it can take a very long time to start bearing fruit. (Extremely non-precocious.)

"Santa Fe" is just an "improved" clonal carob selection. I haven't grown it, but I did taste a pod once, and it was good -- but I didn't eat it side-by-side with "regular" carob, so I'm not sure how much better it is than the average seedling.

Postby martin-o » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:02 pm

martin-o

I really appreciate your offer. Apparently I can't send direct messages as I'm a new member. Not sure how that works, but you can email me first , martin at olah.net
if that's ok. Thanks, Martin

Postby Ashok » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Ashok
Cloudforest Expert

On the "Santa Fe" carob, I have been informed that the selection is self-fertile -- a characteristic apparently not shared by all carob clones. (I've never grown carob.)

Postby martin-o » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:47 pm

martin-o

That sounds like a good cultivar. My own interest in carobs is mainly the seeds. I'm thinking that they could be ground for use as a gluten substitute for wheat-free baking etc. I might try some baking experiments with carob gum before growing a tree though. Also I believe the whole pods contain too much tanin for extensive food use. Thanks for the info.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login