• facebook
  • myspace
  • reddit
  • stumble
  • twitter
  • rss
  • bookmark
  • email

A forum to exchange scions between Cloudforest members. Requests and offers for all scions, including tropical scions can be posted here.

Where can Get Avocado scion wood?

Postby cizzy74 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:03 pm

cizzy74

Climate Zone: 10
I have one large avocado tree which is close to 6ft tall now. I live in ApT and concerned about the height of the tree.
I have grown this tree from a seed pit, and sort of love it because no matter where i'm living it continues to thrive. :)

I want to graft this tree although is to late for me to do so? My worry is that the tree is to tall now and that if I graft it closer to the lower last few leafs, would that be the best place.
Lower Half:
Top Half:
Happy healthy buds keep growing. :roll:

Anyone have suggestions, also if so where can I get some siconwood for the grafting? Im willing to pay for shipping.

By the way I also had planted and grown an other small tree next to the 1st, I love these trees.

Re: Where can Get Avocado scion wood?

Postby houston » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:44 pm

houston

Climate Zone: USDA 9
There are many types of grafts you can try. This video is of a "veneer" graft which does not sacrifice any canopy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jqlX6hqPno

Postby cizzy74 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:10 pm

cizzy74

Wow that's funny I just watched that video last night!
Although I could do the veneer graft in a few weeks time with the other tree, my main concern is the larger tree.

If I clip down off the top, will the leafs on the lower stem start to reproduce again on the lower half of the tree? Thus in time giving me the size I would prefer to start grafting on the now taller tree.
(meaning)In short if I lop off half that canopy, what is liable to happen next?

Postby houston » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 pm

houston

This type of pruning can be done to achieve the result you are looking for, the lower shoots that come out will continue to grow rapidly though. You would need a dwarfed root stock to limit its size with little care.

Postby cizzy74 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:08 pm

cizzy74

Not really a expert garner here, so by a "dwarfed root stock" exactly what does mean? (I'm thinking that your saying I have to uproot what I have and just replace tree I have)I don't quite understand your suggestion.

So if cut off the top half of canopy from the stem in the middle, the tree will be ok? thus causing now shoots to come out from the lower again?

Also anyone out there with some spare scion wood?

Postby houston » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:50 am

houston

Yes, cutting off the upper part of the tree will cause new growth to emerge lower down the trunk as well as increased growth of existing leaves into branches.

A dwarfing rootstock would be an entirely new tree. Think of it as the midget of its species. As the genetics of a regular avocado tree dictate that it will grow quite large, it will continue to grow... quite large. Alternatively, pruning, such as you are asking about, will keep the tree at whatever size you allow. You would not need to prune if it were on a genetically small "dwarfed rootstock"

Postby DavidInAmity » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:57 pm

DavidInAmity
Cloudforest Expert

Climate Zone: USDA 8 in Amity Oregon
cizzy74,

I live and grow some avocado trees up in Oregon, and previously had a grove in Ventura County, CA. So, I have grown avocados both north and south, in traditional growing regions and outside of them.

We all have different experiences. In mine, it is possible to grow any avocado cultivar in a pot. Well, I can't say for sure, but I have 28 trees of 10 different named cultivars that are all growing in #15 pots:

For example, look at how pretty this Stewart is:

And even this Hass, which I haven't given very good care to:

Also, none of these trees is over six feet tall, including the pot.

However, also note that none of these trees have actually had avocado fruit yet!

As for grafting, I do not know much about that. I recommend that you put a new post in the main forum:

http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/gardening/

Post your picture, ask your questions, but do not ask for scions until you get some responses, is my advice. Most people are willing to help out people they know, but not strangers. Same as in the real world, neh?

I myself will probably be offering avocado scion wood next summer. Growing avocados in a cold wet place like Oregon limits what I can do, as compared to Californians. No problem, as I can still grow avocados with a little more care!

Best of luck

Postby Solko » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Solko

Hi cizzy 74,

I am not an expert, but I think your worry about missing your time window to graft this tree is unnecessary. And this tree looks perfect to try an approach graft on, where you just cut to half of the stem and put the new graft in, and only when you are sure that that one takes, you can cut off the top.
Look it up on Google or Youtube, it is a graft that is often used on mangoes as well.

Regards,

Solko

Postby cizzy74 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:31 pm

cizzy74

ya i figured as much just trying to find someone or some where who has any avocado trees, to which I could get a scion piece of wood from. Some the landscape and gardens over here in the East coast in MD just don't have anything or that sort. Im still looking before making any cuts yet.

Return to Exchange Scions

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login