Search the Archives

Locally grown Camphor trees for sale @ Burnaby Gardenworks!!!

Locally grown Camphor trees for sale @ Burnaby Gardenworks!!!

B.C. grown Camphor trees are now attainable in the Burnaby Gardenworks !!! I am there !! but they are rather expensive
$150-200 ea at 14-16ft tall!!! I may make a 3rd investment.
Speaking of these trees I haven't lost my deer damaged root shocked specimine.. It has new growth on the way!!!

Anyone interested in purchasing this ???

The following thread was started by Ichiro_sasaki z9a on February 02, 2003 at 5:51 pm PST

Sure!

I wouldn't mind giving one a try. They seem interesting from the info I've read. Is there a GardenWorks in Victoria that has, or can bring some in from the mainland? I have no trouble planning a trip to the mainland if need be. The biggest obsticle would be the size (14' - 16'). A Mazda pick-up with a 6' bed just won't cut it. E-mail me if you feel a need to futher plan a puchase.

Cheers, Barrie.

Any other Van. Isl. people interested?

The above followup was added by Barrie in Lantzville on February 02, 2003 at 7:00 pm PST.

Yes there are 2 gardeworks in Victoria !

Were are you on Vancouver Island Barrie?
Yes there are 2 gardeworks in Victoria ! but they lack a tonne of experience with these trees or anything unusual!! They still sell they're Fatsia Japonica as a tropical indoor plant, and Trycarpus fortunei as Chamerops Excelsa!! unreal isn't it . The Burnaby store is by far the best in terms of professional help/knowledge and selection !!!
Last year I put both trees into my pick up and transported them trunk wrapped and tied them down using plastic tarp rope. I went a max of no more than 35Km/h on the road... If you get one put a red ribbon (oversized load indicator) on the end so that people don't drive into your tree during transport!!!

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 03, 2003 at 0:39 am PST.

Shipping is free via Gardenworks !!!

Yes they ship the trees for free to any one of the Gardenworks in Victoria. There is one on Blenkensop R.D. and another on Ocean Blvd across the parking lot from White Spot in Colwood

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 03, 2003 at 0:43 am PST.

70 mile trip (one way)

I'm in Lantzville, immediately north of Nanaimo. A 70 mile trip (one way) and I'm there. I should give 'em a call to make arrangements. Thanks Ichiro.

Cheers, Barrie

The above followup was added by Barrie in Lantzville on February 03, 2003 at 1:10 am PST.

How are the heat units up there?

how much heat do you get during the summer and what is your seasonal min temp in winter?

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 03, 2003 at 1:21 am PST.

Climate for Nanaimo/Lantzville

I'm located about a mile from the beach and 300 foot elevation. Wind seems to be quite minimal here compared to other areas. News reports of downed trees and power lines in Victoria are usually a suprise to us. Temps are close although a touch cooler on overnight lows. The terrain here plays a big part in climate. Even within a mile or two, threre's a sometimes a noticeable difference. Last summer I recorded temps over 100f on numerous days on the southern shaded side of the house. It's a very protected location where the heat builds over the course of the day. A "primo" spot for succulents and the like. The island mountain range seems to break up the cloud cover as systems pass through, giving us more sunny breaks during inclement weather. Garry oak and Abrutus menziesii are very regular sights in the region, indicators of good drainage. My site is rocky and sandy, tough to grow Musa basjoo. We're rated a zone 8b.

The above followup was added by Barrie at Las Palmas Norte on February 03, 2003 at 2:11 am PST.

Sounds good !!

I too mesured over 100F once last summer, your min temp though is -8c?
You should have little problem with a Camphor tree then!!!

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 03, 2003 at 3:39 pm PST.

That's warm

I recorded near 32 celcius in my Stevenson Screen, which is very accurate. I know the warmer pockects here reached near 36 celcius or so. Remember always to record the shade temps. and not to place your thermometer where even the slightest bit of sun can hit it. Never place it up against your home or near a window or you will get a false reading. Joe

The above followup was added by Joe, Salt Spring Island on February 04, 2003 at 1:01 am PST.

June temps and August temps of 2002

there were a number of extreamly hots days on the Island. the hottest was June 16th, I think areas near the water hit 37c areas inland were up to 5c hotter than that!!!! My area in the shade was approx 40-42c with a relatively high humidex. Then there were a number of days in a row in August that were 35-37c with 70% humidex. I thought I was living in Kyoto again, even Kyoto last year didn't hit 40-42c !!

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 04, 2003 at 3:40 am PST.

My Data for North end of Salt Spring Isl

On June 16, 2002 I recorded a min. temp. of 10.9 celcius and a max. of 20.9 celcius in the shade. In August my highest shade temp. for the month was 30.9 celcius. My highest max. temp. for the summer of 2002 was in July. These temps. are recorded on my property and will vary quite a bit throughout different regions on our island. Joe

The above followup was added by Joe, Salt Spring Island on February 04, 2003 at 5:35 am PST.

I think I may have chose the wrong day !

I don't think June 16th was when I measured our extreame heat day!! ..I will have to look again.... whenever it was, in June it smashed temp records up and down the island!! no kiddin here 40c at least low was 20-24c !!!
What was your annum average temp? what was your hottest months average high temp? I got 14-14.5 for my area's annum average temp!!

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki Z9a on February 04, 2003 at 7:00 am PST.

Temps.

I never work out the monthly averages. I only record min/max temps. daily. I also record precip. I have been keeping day by day weather records for many years now. My readings should be 100% accurate. I have 3 seperate thermometers in my Stevenson Screen, so there are no mistakes. I have thermometers set up all over my property, just so I can see the differences in temp. readings. Joe

The above followup was added by Joe, Salt Spring Island on February 05, 2003 at 5:39 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:08 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login