Search the Archives

Fatsia Japonica

Fatsia Japonica

I was surpised to see my Fatsia just saging to the ground this morning. It was jsut kind of limp so I decided to water it. Over the past 5 hrs, it has really perked up again. I have never really watered much in the winter time, but it has been pretty dry for some time now. My question, do you guys water in the winter much? Would you water these in the winter?

Yuccas
Trachy
Fatsia
Grasses
Cordyline

The following thread was started by BryceS on December 17, 2005 at 3:36 pm PST

Update..

Now, it is 10:30pm and it is once again, totally sagging down. We do have a pretty heavy frost going on....Is this normal in the winter months, obviously, it is my first Fatsia?

The above followup was added by BryceS on December 17, 2005 at 10:38 pm PST.

yup, normal...

....mine have been doing the same thing, wilting at night and returning to normal when temps go above freezing in the day.

The above followup was added by Ryan, Philomath, OR on December 17, 2005 at 10:57 pm PST.

Thanks Ryan...

What an odd deal that is....I will have to pay more attention to the temperature when it comes to them, thanks for pointing that out.

The above followup was added by BryceS on December 17, 2005 at 11:31 pm PST.

Fatsia

My fatsia, aucuba, rhodies and stuff have been curled up for about 3 weeks now because we haven't gone above 20F even in the day time. It's how they protect themselves. My hardy yuccas do the same thing but yucca recurvafolia does not curl up so may be damaged or die to the ground when temps are too cold. Even my Alaska Weeping Cedars look dehydrated and small but will swell back up when the temp. goes above freezing.

The above followup was added by Dillon on December 18, 2005 at 1:26 pm PST.

Where are you Dillon?

What location?

The above followup was added by Jeff, Victoria, BC, 8b on December 19, 2005 at 7:52 am PST.

Fatsia

Jeff, I'm in Walla Walla in SE Washington. We've always been zone 6 but the latest info says I'm zone 7. Most winters are down to 10F to 20F as lows but every 5 years or so we can drop to -15F and it stays for 2 weeks. So far I don't think we have gone below +15F this winter. It's been about 20F for the last 3 weeks and right now is 27F. Tomorrow is suppose to get 37F and start raining and days above freezing for a while.

The above followup was added by Dillon on December 19, 2005 at 10:09 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:14 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login