Search the Archives

Pomegranates in the northwest

Pomegranates in the northwest

Hello, does anyone know which pomegranates grow and fruit best in the Pacific northewest? Specifically, the Seattle area?

The following thread was started by Andrew on June 18, 2008 at 3:26 pm PST

NW Pomegranates

I am growing Wonderful, because I bought the fruit and planted the seeds, not that I'm cheap or anything......they all seem very hardy. They grow slowly but they come back every year.

Some have grown Eversweet, a type that ripens with less heat. Main problem in NW is enough heat for the fruit to ripen. Flowers are beautiful and will bloom. One guy I talked to is a native of Iran and gets his Wonderful to produce ripened fruit every year. Raintree in Morton Washington sells it, and it has sold out before (maybe this year). Some of the sites from California like Dave Wilson nurseries will show which varieties ripen in coastal climates, which would be like ours. The guy I talked to said he thought they still wouldn't ripen here, but I bet he also thinks you can't grow palms up here.
My two cents,
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on June 18, 2008 at 10:29 pm PST.

Wonderful fruits here...

I have the following, and all are growing well:

* Ambrosia
* Eversweet
* Grenada
* Kashmir
* Pink Satin
* Red Silk
* Sweet
* Wonderful

Wonderful is the only one big enough (old enough) to fruit; it had two fruit last year, one supermarket sized and one smaller.

The first seven trees listed are from Raintree, and let me warn you: they ship small pomegranate plants. And, as best I can tell, the trees originate with Dave Wilson Nursery.

The above followup was added by DavidInAmityOr,z8 on June 19, 2008 at 7:14 am PST.

David, let us know

how your pomegranates grow up. I am very interested in which fruit, and how they ripen.
Thanks
john s
pdx or

The above followup was added by John S on June 20, 2008 at 10:38 am PST.

Thanks for the info

Since I'm kind of a novice I'll probably go with Eversweet to start with. Does anyone know if they grow well in containers?

I thought of growing Red Silk because of the nice compact six foot size but maybe I'll just top the Eversweet if it is getting too tall.

The above followup was added by Andrew on June 21, 2008 at 10:37 pm PST.

Wonderful in a pot...

Andrew:

All of my pomegranates are in pots (I bought them to be put in as "end of row" ornamentals in one of my olive groves, but, ah, the olive grove is still "in progress" as they say!). This is the "Wonderful", bought as a good sized plant from Tsegawa Nursery in southern WA in 2006. It is still roughly the same height as when I bought it, although getting bushier. The white pot is about 21 1/2 inches diameter at the top...

The above followup was added by DavidInAmityOr,z8 on June 22, 2008 at 9:17 am PST.

Other pomegranates in pots...

Here are the seven I bought from Raintree (see photo). From left to right:

Pink Satin
Kashmir
Grenada
Sweet
Ambrosia
Eversweet
Red Silk

The order the trees are in is from smallest received to largest; with Pink Satin and Kashmir definitly being smaller. All were received as potted plants, see example empty pot in forground bottom right. the trees were received and repotted into "5 gallon short pots" this spring.

The above followup was added by DavidInAmityOr,z8 on June 22, 2008 at 9:29 am PST.

Other pomegranate thoughts...

First, sorry the photos are so cluttered! I didn't quite realize how hard it is to make out the pomegranates until I posted...

"Harvey C" on the Cloudforest Cafe forum is quite into pomegranates, and in general is a real nice guy. He has an small orchard of pomegranates and has several web sites he set up relating to pomegranates.

My theory, for what it's worth, is to buy strong growing subtropical cultivars in general. This is to make up for our relatively unhospitable (to subtropicals) climate. In particular, if you are going to grow pomegranates in pots, I might sugest your idea of Eversweet is a good one - my guess is it will be a long time gefore you have to worry about it getting too big. I grew up in Clovis, CA; probably about as close to an ideal pomegranate climate as any, and even there they were just relatively small bushes...

Good luck!

PS: John S. - I will try to post this fall when I have ripe fruit to show. But so far this cool spring isn't doing my subtropicals any favors...

The above followup was added by DavidInAmityOr,z8 on June 22, 2008 at 9:41 am PST.

pommo

I have also considered growing these next year. I have the heat they need, just concerned about getting them through winter. Then my concern is what I would use the fruit for. I think I have used pommo only a couple of times in specific recipes. What do y'all use them for???

Adam

The above followup was added by Adam in Richland on June 22, 2008 at 8:35 pm PST.

Slightly OT: Pomegranate recipes...

Hi Adam,

Well, I don't know that I have ever had enough pomegranates to worry about using them all up; when I was a kid we just peeled them and scooped out the seeds and ate the seeds (well, we crushed the seeds in our mouth for the juice and then spit out the "husks").

Below is a link to a pomegranate cook book; I think the main idea is that pomegranate fruits are converted to a syrup and then used in cooking mostly in that form (although the seeds are used sprinked in salads and etc).

For me, the first way I intend to use them is to make some Pomegranate Marinated Olives (pg. 22)... sounds yummy!

Best regards!

The above followup was added by DavidInAmityOr,z8 on June 23, 2008 at 7:31 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:14 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login