Search the Archives

eureka palms

eureka palms

does anyone know about eureka palms? I live in hawaii and just bought a few to put on my condo's balcony. Ive had them for a few weeks and they dont look happy... I water them regulary and they get a lot of sunlight. Are they just going though shock or am I missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

The following thread was started by andy on April 24, 2006 at 8:53 pm PST

Changing climate

Palm trees can thrive in Eureka but they will need time to adapt.Andy, you did not state what type of palms you have.So many palms are heat loving and never adapt to cool climates.If this is the case your palms might survive for years but never grow well.

The above followup was added by Lance on April 25, 2006 at 1:04 pm PST.

Eureka palms

By any chance is your eureka palm a dypis lutescens? Dypsis lutescens should thrive in your climate, but it may just not look happy because of their growth habit. It is probably very healthy, but may look yellow because of too much sun, but once they get a trunk and showing full recurved leaves they should look nice.

The above followup was added by kyle on April 25, 2006 at 1:13 pm PST.

Areca palms

I think what Andy has is an Areac palm on his balcony in Hawaii. They use that species for fricken hedges in Hawaii. They are a very tropical species that love your climate. You better check it for spider mites. If you were growing it as a house plant in less light and moved it out where it gets hot sun, the foliage will burn. You have to gradually climatize it to more light. As for palm trees in Eurek northern California, there are hundreds of mature Phoenix c. growing there. Washies and Jubaeas too. Eureka is a great cooler climate where many palm species will thrive without protection. Joe

The above followup was added by Joe, SSI on April 25, 2006 at 5:37 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:50 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login