Search the Archives

Which fertilizer to use for Windmill Palm

Which fertilizer to use for Windmill Palm

I planted two windmill palms in Seattle area about 1 month ago... They are doing okay, but some of the leaves start turning yellowish toward the end. Wondering if I need to be worrying about that.
Moreover I am wondering if I need to do some fertilization at this point of the season? What kind of fertilizer I should use? I was looking to buy some palm specific fertilizer, but the manufactures don't sell these in WA. I looked only for Miracle grow palm food, and on the web site they mention that "This product is only available in the following states: AL, AZ, CA, FL, GA, LA, MS, NV, NM, and TX.

Does that mean, I should not use it in WA weather?

Please advice??

The following thread was started by Ashug on September 18, 2007 at 9:49 am PST

Fertilizer

I use Miracle Grow 24 - 8 - 16 with good results.. another brand with a similar formula may work as well ...The yellowing you mentioned seems to be a common problem with Windmills...even the most healthy have some yellow tips.... As far as fertilizing in fall is concerned, don't ! ...it could promote new growth only to be damaged in winter. I stop feeding about mid August....perhaps a mulch or seaweed based application may work better. Good luck..Trachys, if looked after are pretty much iron clad !

The above followup was added by Neil on September 18, 2007 at 3:15 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:36 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login