Search the Archives

Hey all..cold hardy Poncirus trifoliata here

Hey all..cold hardy Poncirus trifoliata here

Hey all..
took these pics at the Elk Rock Gardens of the Bishop's Close in Portland, Oregon...This is their Poncirus trifoliata..the "hardy orange" this arborist named david didnt know alot about it..but plans on getting more information to me about it..its about 30 or 40 years old...here is the first picture
John in Beaverton

The following thread was started by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:48 pm PST

Pic 2 of the Poncirus trifoliata

Pic 2 of the Fruit
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:49 pm PST.

Pic 3 of the Poncirus trifoliata

Here is Pic 3 of the fruit and leaves
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:50 pm PST.

Pic 4 of the Poncirus trifoliata

Pic 4 of the fruit again on the branch..this pic the orange came out alittle yellow from the flash..lol
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:52 pm PST.

Pic 5 of the "thorns" of the tree

Pic 5 of the "thorns" they were pretty big..
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:54 pm PST.

Pic 6 of the Poncirus trifoliata

Here is Pic 6 of the trunk of the tree..
John in Beaveton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:55 pm PST.

Pic 8 of the Poncirus trifoliata

Here is Pic 8 of a closer shot of the trunk
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:56 pm PST.

oops sorry..distant shot of the trunk

here is the distant shot of the trunk..sorry about the above "no pic" scenario..
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 15, 2006 at 4:59 pm PST.

Good find

I love your posts. Good find here. I have visited a couyple sights that you have posted and I am always pleasantly surprised at ho much larger the trees appear in person. Good job!

The above followup was added by Ty on October 15, 2006 at 6:39 pm PST.

Barbed wire

I think I recall a story about a military base, somewhere like Arkansas, fortifying the perimeter with a Poncirus hedge. I hunted for the Bishops Close once or twice, didn't quite figure it out. What the heck, I lived near Crystal Springs.

The above followup was added by Dave, Vero Beach, Fla. on October 15, 2006 at 7:25 pm PST.

Hey Ty...Dave...

Hey Ty..Dave..
Thanks for the posts...Ty...the tree is pretty cool...it was cloudy on Saturday so the pictures didnt come out as good as I wanted them to come out, but Im going to do a write up on this tree to find out the exact "specs" of the tree, how old, when planted, any specific care, etc. David the arborist that I was talking about in a previous post though the tree was something like 30 or 40 years old..and he trimmed it up a bit to make it nicer looking,
I told David that the "deadwood" needed to come out of the tree. He said he would do that per my recommondation. He said he would get back to me with more information on the Poncirus.
I also had a lengthy conversation with the dude at Northup Station as well. I spoke to him and he asked me to email him question about the Washingtonia filifera's at the hotel. This is gonna blow you guys away, but since 2001, they are on their "3rd" planting of those palms there, the other two plantings of the mexican fan palm there died! So...He gave me information to the ...what he called the "landscape architect" of which I dont think he knows much about cold hardy tropicals in any sense...and was thinking about emailing the landscape architect and explaining a few things to him about "plants"...or ..cold hardy tropicals...I also mentioned to him in the email that i could do some consulting work for Northrup Station and give information and ideas on other plants as well as more "cold hardy palms" that could be planted per se. Im going to do a write up on the Northup Station palms, as I have alot of information on them...from the owner...
Anyway stay tuned...my next palm in portland will be the one planted..and "documented" via the Oregonian ..on the Trachycarpus fortunei planted in 1925....of which I have pictures of.
I am also going to be doing a write up and take pictures of a 100 + loquat tree located in Portland as well..
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 16, 2006 at 8:08 am PST.

Excellent work, John

Nice job, John. I would love to go see this tree. I have some tiny citrus in my yard, which I hope will some day grow up and look like that.

Thanks for posting the link about the tall, old, trachies in Aloha on 194th and Hennig. They are great.

I look forward to seeing about the 100 year old loquat.

Talk to you soon,
the other John in Portland
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on October 17, 2006 at 10:48 pm PST.

Thanks John S...in Portland..lol

Hey John
Thanks for the comments..appreciate it...there are alot of "treasures" in the way of plants around town that I am going to continually find and look up and check out.
I was going to post the 1925 planted Trachycarpus in Portland a few days ago..of which i need to do....
the loquat ill get to here soon..I sure hope we have some more sunny days..especially this weekend so I can get better pictures ..the cloudy days really fade the pictures out unfortunately. Anyway..keep tuned..ill post more stuff.
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 18, 2006 at 9:33 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login