Search the Archives

Growing Yuzu citrus in Oregon ...

Growing Yuzu citrus in Oregon ...

I would like to sell Yuzu citrus in my nursery and I was wondering if anybody has tried growing Yuzu in Oregon and if they were successful. Yuzu is a hybrid between Citrus ichangensis and Citrus reticulata. C. ichangensis is the hardies of all true citrus. Poncirus trifoliata is not a true citrus.

The following thread was started by Marc Camargo on October 29, 2007 at 10:24 am PST

Yuzu in Portland

Marc,
Ryan gave me one a couple of years back. It is in a pot and has done well. It is a fine-looking plant, with bright and shiny leaves. The considerable thorns can be forgiven. This particular plant is still too young for fruit. Maybe I'll plant it out in the spring.
Bradley

The above followup was added by Bradley, PDX on October 29, 2007 at 10:54 am PST.

C. ichangensis

I've had a small one planted out for about 3 years or so. It is slowly growing, but can experience set backs over the winter. Has never flowered, but is a nice "shrub".

The above followup was added by Pablo2079 WA8 on October 29, 2007 at 1:09 pm PST.

I have a few Yuzu in the ground

I've been experimenting with hardy citrus for a few years now and have the following varieties in the ground.

Ichang lemon, Ichang papeda, Meyer Lemon (with protection), Trifloate orange, Citrandarin, Citromelo, and Yuzu.

So far the Yuzu have performed the best of the true citrus showing no damage unprotected. They also seem to be the best adapted for the cool-ish weather as they seem to break dormancy earlier.

My Yuzu were grown from seed and have not fruited yet.

The above followup was added by Andrew Fritze zone 8b Fox Island WA on October 29, 2007 at 1:17 pm PST.

Thanks for all the info.If you guys ever

get fruit from Yuzu, please let me know how it performs here in the PNW. I would be selling C. junos (Yuzu) grafted on Poncirus trifoliata rootstock. I am surprized to know that Yuzu performed the best. Yuzu is supposed to be a hybrid between C. ichangensis and C. reticulata. I would expect C. ichangensis to do better than C. junos. Where did I go wrong?

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on October 29, 2007 at 1:37 pm PST.

Poncirus trifoliata

this has been grown in at a garden in portland for over 60 years..I talked about it a few months ago, im sure the you can find it if you scroll down the page abit
John in Beaverton

The above followup was added by John in Beaverton on October 29, 2007 at 2:24 pm PST.

My yuzu died last winter

I had it inside in a warm, sunny window the winter before. I'm willing to try the alternate practice many on the list seem to be using of in only during very cold, then only inside cold.

I have a ichangensis too. NOt a problem. I also have ten degree tangerine from McKenzie Farms. It had some but not extensive damage last winter and looks good. Trifoliate stayed out. No prob.

Everything else has been taken in.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on October 29, 2007 at 10:36 pm PST.

Do you attribute the death of Yuzu to ..

the fact that you kept it inside all winter long? How are the flowers of C. ichangensis? Are they as fragrant as the regular citrus?

The above followup was added by Marc Camargo on October 30, 2007 at 8:12 am PST.

grafted yuzu

i have grafted several yuzus 3 years and 2 years ago. i tried yuzu/ trifoliata and yuzu on yuzu.
yuzu on trifoliata had vigorous growth compared with yuzu on yuzu, however the year old post-graft yuzu/trifoliata died after one winter when planted unprotected. maybe the graft has not harden enough to withstand the freeze. this year i have planted all my grafted yuzus outdoors, unprotected.

i had fruits from one of my old yuzus (potted) last winter, no bloom this year so far.

The above followup was added by max on vashon on October 30, 2007 at 6:56 pm PST.

Yuzu/ichang

I don't have the answer as to why it died, but it was only a 1 gallon plant. Maybe bringing it in with warmth and sunlight was a bad idea. I am seeing if that hypothesis works.

Ichang is also 1 gallon, grows very slowly and I have not yet seen flowers.
John S
PDX OR

The above followup was added by John S on October 30, 2007 at 10:09 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:43 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login