Search the Archives

Transplanting a large Yucca

Transplanting a large Yucca

I have a large non trunking Yucca on my property with about 10 offshoots (flowering size--almost all of the offshoots flowered this summer). First of all, do they transplant well? I would like to move it (offshoots and all) to a different area. Should I attempt to dig it up and drag it over to where I would like it to be? I have very rocky soil so it might be very difficult to dig it up, but I am willing to give it a try if that is what I should do. I have also heared that the offshoots can be cut off and planted. Should I do that? I would appreciate any recommendations that anyone has.

The following thread was started by Matt in Tukwila on August 01, 2004 at 9:56 pm PST

Yuccas

Yuccas are very easy to transplant. However, I'm not sure if this is the right time to move them. You may want to wait until the fall but there may be someone else out there who could advise you on when the best time to transplant yuccas.

The above followup was added by Vito on August 01, 2004 at 10:16 pm PST.

question about roots

Do they have large deep growing roots or wide spreading roots? If so, would it harm the Yucca any to cut them? Vito, have you ever transplanted a large one like mine? Anyone have experience dividing them by cutting the offshoots? Please share your experiences.

The above followup was added by Matt in Tukwila on August 01, 2004 at 11:58 pm PST.

Yucca are bullit proof

I think you could transplant it any time. I transplanted a large Yucca in the dead of winter with no problems. I broke off a couple arms in the move an just slapped them in the ground, they are growing fine.

Also, all the remaining roots will sprout a Yucca. They seem indestructable. Have at it.

The above followup was added by Andy Fritze, Maple Valley Wa, 8a on August 02, 2004 at 0:07 am PST.

Speaking of yucca

How would you prepare a bed for planting yucca?
I have a potted yucca that I haven't planted out
yet, and in the future I would like to add more
yucca (rostrata) and some cacti.

I have an extremely hot and dry location in
front of a wall that faces due south, with about
a 1:6 slope away from the house.

I'm guessing the bed would contain relatively
little garden soil or other organic matter
but with lots of sand and rocks? Does anyone have
a recipe they could share?

Thanks in advance!

The above followup was added by Mark Z4 Ont on August 02, 2004 at 1:56 pm PST.

Recipe

I don't really have a recipe for it but maybe the link might provide some information. It is not bad to have some organic matter and good garden soil to plant your yuccas in a think, as long as it has sufficient drainage.

And about transplanting a yucca, I would wait until next Spring or if it that is not possible, at least this Autumn. At the moment it is not good to dig it up and transplant it.

Greetings,

Mark
The Netherlands

The above followup was added by Mark The Netherlands on August 02, 2004 at 3:27 pm PST.
Matt

Matt, I have transplanted a large one like the one you described and it is doing very well 3 years later. I moved it to a sunnier location and provided it with better drainage and it is now thriving.

The planting location that you have planned for your yucca sounds ideal. Make sure the drainage is excellent.

The above followup was added by Vito on August 02, 2004 at 9:17 pm PST.

Yucca Rostrata

I have transplanted yuccas in the heat of summer and the cold of winter, I have divided them and transplanted them whole. I have put them in any kind of soil and all have survived. I even get yuccas sprouting in the old location the following year, after I thought I had got all of it.
They are indestructable!

The above followup was added by Wes North Van on August 03, 2004 at 8:16 pm PST.

Looking For Yucca Rostrata

I am looking for Yucca Rostrata....some with some trunk height. Anyone know where to find some reasonably?

The above followup was added by Sherry on August 05, 2004 at 4:43 pm PST.

Hard to Locate

Garden centers here don't carry much more than Y.recurvifolia and a few trunkless species. Even then it's pricey. I would imagine it has more to do with high product turnover. They need to move plants in one door & out the next, to pay bills and staff. Regular nurseries can't sit on product that won't move quickly.
You'll have to look for the smaller independant nursery for your Y.rostrata Sherry.

Cheers, Barrie.

The above followup was added by Barrie - Las Palmas Norte - Lantzville. on August 05, 2004 at 10:34 pm PST.

moving, how to kep yuccas until spring

we are moving in November and have not found a place to relocate as yet. We may put our belongings in storage until spring. I would like to know how I can store yucca plants until spring when we have a new place for them. I have separated a hugh yucca plant that has spread amazingly.in its present location.

The above followup was added by Crole Parker on September 02, 2004 at 8:23 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:20 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login