Search the Archives

Majesty Palm

Majesty Palm

I live in Dallas, TX. Can majesty palms survive being planted outside? What can I do to help this plant not die?

The following thread was started by Rynae on December 03, 2004 at 5:48 am PST

Short Answer.... Move south ; )

Majesties have very little tolerance for frost, they are pretty mucha zone 10 palm.

The above followup was added by Gus on December 03, 2004 at 8:45 am PST.

majesty

I live in the southeast corner of GA, and I grow about 10 majesty palms outside. I do cover/wrap them good with heavy frost blanket if it's supposed to get below 28*. The leaves invariably burn back anyway, but they come back every year. They've taken 18* and lived thru it with being covered. Just take a TON of fertilize, shade, and tons of water.

The above followup was added by Barry Randolph on December 03, 2004 at 7:42 pm PST.

Cool, hardier than I thought, how long

are they subjected to those temps? Wait don't tell me, it might make it too tempting for me to try.

Do you grow them in the shade?

The above followup was added by JB-Seattle on December 03, 2004 at 7:57 pm PST.

majesty

They are subjected to the temps (all planted in the ground), but I drive two 15-foot pieces of rebar on each side of each palm, then pull the palm leaves up and wrap the whole thing with frost blanket (heavy frost blanket) whenever it's getting to 28 degrees or lower. I do grow them in the shade. They look like crap otherwise.

The above followup was added by Barry Randolph on December 03, 2004 at 8:11 pm PST.

majesty

So do I need to use a particular fertilizer to plant or just miracle grow? And you wrap the entire plant or just the roots? I can't imagine having to wrap the whole 6-7 feet plants. Thanks for your help.

The above followup was added by Rynae on December 04, 2004 at 8:01 am PST.

majesty

Well, they sell little bags of palm fertilize at our Home Depot and Lowe's. Can't think of who sells it right now. It's called Palm and Ixora fertilize. Have currently used my last bag, but can check today and see who makes it cause I'm going there. This fertilize manufacturer also sells bags that are for citrus, etc. Wrap the whole palm. I've thought of cutting off the fronds before because the first really hard freeze (below 25*) will turn the fronds to mush even though it's covered, and then you have to cut them off anyway. Haven't been able to make myself cut them off ahead of time, though. I also have some smaller ones that I cover with really huge industrial-size trash cans. They're all easier to cover/wrap once the leaves have burnt off, cause all you're covering then is the trunk. I have a number of 25-foot queen palms that I wrap, too. I don't recomment trying that, though, cause it's a rather dangerous process.

The above followup was added by Barry Randolph on December 04, 2004 at 8:42 am PST.

Sorry I ment to post this here not above

We just don't have a lot of heat like the S.E. or even Dallas for them to make a full recovery even if they were to survive one of our mild winters, (this year could be one.) It would be a lot of work to get them to over winter and grow faster here, probably more than I would want to invest. They do however last a long time in the PNW garden way into winter.
If you like to try one I would dig up every winter and replant in mid spring for anyone in PNW, they make great indoor/outdoor palms.

Good Luck!

The above followup was added by Roger in Olympia on December 04, 2004 at 11:59 am PST.

majesty

The fertilize is called Vigoro, by the way!

The above followup was added by Barry Randolph on December 04, 2004 at 12:51 am PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:33 pm. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login