Search the Archives

The Best Cold Hardy Citrus? So far....

The Best Cold Hardy Citrus? So far....

Ichang lemon (c.ichangensis x maxima) appears to be the best chance for cold hardy citrus with resonable tasting fruit.

The Voss citrus nursery (a german site) has cold tested all the current cold hardy citrus. The maxium low temp for Ichang lemon is 14F or -10C

This is the cold hardiest true citrus, with no poncirus parentage. It produces grape fruit sized lemons.

It my opinion that Ichang hybrids have great promise, and I truely believe that a hybrid can be produce that is ground hardy here in the NW.

For those who share my interest here are a couple good citus sites:

http://members.aol.com/agrumivos2/citrue.htm
http://www.saalfelds.freeserve.co.uk/HobbyCitrusGrowers.htm

The following thread was started by Andy Fritze, Maple Valley Wa, 8a on December 20, 2002 at 6:19 pm PST

i have a few hardy citrus growing

So far my citrandarin is doing really well. I ignored advice and planted it as soon as I got it instead of waiting a year. But it is doing really well. I have a citrumelo in a pot that completely de-foliated but is still alive. I have a washington navel that also de-foliated this summer for some reason but is still alive (all the fruit fell off too). I also have a calamondin orange tree that is hanging in there. The fruit withered away after our October freeze and the leaves look sickly, but I think it can hold on and do well again this summer. Anyway, my point to all this is I love citrus so I am glad to hear that the ichang lemon is a possibility. I will defintely buy one ASAP. The citrandarin is also something that people might find success with in this region. The fruit is supposedly not so good, but somewhat useful as a lemon substitute. We'll see I guess.???

The above followup was added by Parker on December 21, 2002 at 12:36 am PST.

oh yeah

where can one buy the ichang lemon? I see world wide plants has added Thomasville citrangequat to their list of plants available. I need to get one of those too as they are supposed to be the tastiest of the poncirus hybrids.

The above followup was added by Parker on December 21, 2002 at 12:44 am PST.

World Wide Plants has them

World Wide Plants has them. But, it's on the regular citrus page. Not in the hardy citrus section.

http://www.worldwideplants.com/citrus.htm

Here's a site with some good info on hardy citrus. With some good pictures of ichang lemon fruit and other hardy citrus.

The above followup was added by Andy Fritze, Maple Valley Wa, 8a on December 21, 2002 at 7:44 pm PST.

Oops, I forgot to put in the link

Here's the link to that site.

The above followup was added by Andy Fritze, Maple Valley Wa, 8a on December 21, 2002 at 7:47 pm PST.
Try US119

This is a mandarin and hardy cross.

You can get it at "just fruits" in Crawford florida.

The above followup was added by Randy z7b on December 24, 2002 at 3:02 pm PST.

US 119 = Snowsweet

I'm familiar with that hybrid. It's marketed as Snowsweet. From my reseach it a complex second generation hybrid. It's (citrus sinensis x poncirus trifoliata) x citrus paradisi.

The problem is, the poncirus bitter taste seems to be a dominate trait. There are no citrus x poncirus hybrids that are not effected by it.

Here is a previous posting by MrTexas: He
quotes from the book "Citrus for the Gulf Coast" by J. Stewart Nagle: US119 or "Snow Sweet"=>"juicy with a moderately sweet orange flavor, but with and unpleasant, lingering bitter trifoliate aftertaste. Not as sweet as Morton citrange but more attractive and with much less "bite." I don't know about you but I prefer citrus fruit that doesn't have a "bite."

US119 is going in the right direction. I believe the first good tasting cold hardy citrus will be a complex hybrid.

My interest in the Ichang Lemon is that it has no poncirus parentage. Most of the current hybrids like the "morton" or "carizzo" were hyridized in the early 1920s with the intent of producing better root stock for grafting.

Ichang hybridizing is much newer. Citrus ichangensis may be a better starting point for good tasting hybrids.

The above followup was added by Andy Fritze, Maple Valley Wa, 8a on December 27, 2002 at 5:56 pm PST.

Citrus mitis

This Citrus ( Citrus Mitis) is doing well outside with no protecton near my home in Metchosin!! No defoliation and all seems very well!!

The above followup was added by Ichiro_sasaki on January 28, 2003 at 1:53 am PST.

hardy citrus hybrids

I think because poncirus is a true species, it's traits tend to dominate when hybridized with the sweet tropical citrus cultivars. I would imagine a citrus ichangensis x poncirus would have a more balanced flavor because ichang is a true species in itself (not a complex hybrid). Perhaps a 2nd gen cross poncirus x ichang x citrus ?? would be a great place to start

The above followup was added by jeff picazio on May 05, 2003 at 8:32 pm PST.

Canadian Ichang source

Bob and Verna Duncan, of Fruit Trees and More in Sidney, B.C., Canada, will be propagating their Ichang Papeda (hardy lemon) next year. I have my name on a waitlist. They fruit Meyer lemons outside against a white-painted fence, with a glass roof, but no walls. There were masses of lemons when I was there in October, and they continue to ripen through the winter.
http://www.fruittreesandmore.com/

The above followup was added by Diane Whitehead on October 21, 2003 at 11:53 pm PST.

US 119

My US 119 weathered 6 deg F. last winter during a week of temperatures in the low teens. I live in coastal NC. It looked dead for a while, and then new branches formed and it now is growing nicely. That was the coldest it had been here in many decades, so I shouldn't have a problem and that was its first winter. I don't have any blossoms or fruit yet.

The above followup was added by Paul Getty on October 30, 2003 at 5:02 pm PST.

Please note that you are viewing posts from the vintage Cloudforest forum. These are un-moderated posts made by un-registered users. Every effort has been made to clean up the old archives, but we cannot guarantee the contents. If you find an offensive post, please bring it to our attention and we will remove it.

It is not possible to post to the old archives. If you wish to follow up on one of the posts in the archives, please make a reference of the post URL and start a new topic in the Northwest Palms and Subtropicals forum.

Welcome Guest

Please register or login if you would like to post. It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:42 am. (All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]).

Getting Around the Cafe

Login