Cloudforest Palm Resources
This is the Cloudforest Palm Resources Home Page. Palms are most often associated with tropical climates, but as it turns out, there are many palms that are adapted to much colder growing conditions. Two categories of palms are of interest for growers in cooler regions: hardy palms that can take a good deal of below freezing temperatures, and tropical highland palms that may not be super hardy but can take a lot of chill and thrive in cool Summer conditions. The first category of palms presents many specimens that are well adapted to the milder regions of the Pacific Northwest. The second category includes a large number of very tropical looking species that will thrive in the cooler parts of California.
Here are some good resources for growing palms:
- The Pacific Northwest Palm Society, great resource for growing palms in Canada
- The Northern California Palm Society, Very good resource for information on hardy and very exotic looking palms for Northern California and into the Pacific Northwest
- The Virtual Palm Encyclopedia, Probably the most complete palm resource that exists on the web today
- The Palm Society of Southern California, Great for the milder, warmer parts of California.
- The Desert Northwest, Ian’s Blog and Exotics page focused on the drier inland areas of the Pacific Northwest